Mycobacterium tuberculosis H37Ra ESAS-7—An excretory-secretory antigen fraction of immunodiagnostic potential in pulmonary tuberculosis
- 42 Downloads
A mycobacterial excretory-secretory protein fraction ESAS-7 purified by 50% ammonium sulphate precipitation followed by SDS-PAGE fractionation was evaluated by penicillinase enzyme linked immuno-sorbent assay (ELISA) for its sensitivity and specificity in the diagnosis of pulmonary tuberculosis. At a “cut off” serum dilution of 600, 38 (90%) of 42 sera from bacteriologically confirmed tuberculosis cases, 15 (100%) of 15 sera from bacteriogically negative but anti tubercular therapy (ATT) responded cases, 3 (7%) of 43 sera from normal healthy subjects and 4 (8%) of 48 sera from non tuberculous disease control cases gave positive reaction for tubercular antibody to ESAS-7 antigen fraction containing predominantly 33-kDa protein with a sensitivity of 90% in bacteriologically confirmed cases and specificity of 92%. Further, this diagnostic assay using the ESAS-7 antigen is more sensitive requiring as little as one nanogram antigen per test compared to use of 100 nanogram EST-6 antigen reported earlier. Thus use of ESAS-7 antigen for antibody detection has good diagnostic potential with improved specificity in pulmonary tuberculosis.
Key WordsELISA ESAS—7 antigen Penicillinase
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.CDS. (1991) Nosocomial transmission of MDR-TB among HIV infected persons—Florida and New York. M.M.W.R. 40, 585–591.Google Scholar
- 4.Krombovitis, E. (1986) Detection of antibodies toMycobacterium tuberculosis plasma membrane antigen by enzyme linked immunosorbent assay. J. Med. Microbiol. 21, 257–264.Google Scholar
- 5.Stroebal, A.B., Daniel, T.M., Lau, J.H.K., Leong, J.C.Y. and Richardson, H. (1982) Serological diagnosis of bone and joint tuberculosis by an enzyme linked immunosorbent assay. J. Infect. Dis. 146, 280–283.Google Scholar
- 7.Basak A., Choudhary, S., Lodam, A.N., Gupta, O.P., Narang, P., and Harinath, B.C. (1992) Detection of IgG using Mycobacterium tuberculosis H37Ra by penicillinase stick ELISA. In: proceedings of CSIR Golden jubilee symposium of Tropical Diseases; Molecular Biology and control strategies. Feb. 19–20, Lucknow.Google Scholar
- 9.Kumar, S., Chenthamarkshan, V., Reddy, M.V.R., Narang, P., Gupta, O.P. and Harinath, B.C. (1994) Detection of tuberculous IgG antibodies usingMycobacterium tuberculosis H37Ra excretory-secretory antigen and tuberculin purified protein derivative. Indian. J. Expt. Biol. 32, 163–167.Google Scholar
- 10.Lodam, A.N., Reddy, M.V.R., Narang, P., Gupta, O.P. and Harinath, B.C. (1996) Fractionation, analysis and diagnostic utility ofMycobacterium tuberculosis H37Ra excretory-secretory antigen in pulmonary tuberculosis. Indian. J. Biochem. Biophy. 33, 66–71.Google Scholar
- 11.Lodam, A.N., Pramanik, J., Reddy, M.V.R. and Harinath, B.C. (1997) Diagnostic potential of fractionatedMycobacterium tuberculosis H37Ra excretory—secretory (EST-DE1) antigen in pulmonary tuberculosis. Indian. J. Clin. Biochem. 12 (1), 71–77.Google Scholar
- 12.Pramanik, J., Lodam, A.N., Reddy, M.V.R., Narang, P. and Harinath, B.C. (1997) Increased yield of excretory-secretory antigen with thyroxine supplemented ininvitro culture of tubercle bacilli. Indian. J. Tuberc. 44, 185–190.Google Scholar
- 16.Parkhe, K.A., Prasad, G.B.K.S., Das, A., Harinath, B.C., Roebbar, M. and Hamilton, R.G. (1986) Disc/Stick ELISA for diagnosis of bancroftian filariasis. Indian. J. Expt. Biol. 24, 437–439.Google Scholar
- 19.Daniel, T.M. and Debanne, S.M. (1987) The serodiagnosis of tuberculosis and other mycobacterial disease by enzyme linked immunosorbent assay. Amer. Rev. Respir. Dis. 135, 1137–1151.Google Scholar
- 25.Alamelu, R., Narayanan P.R., Jawahar, M.S. and Prabakar, R. (1994) Evaluation ofMycobacterium tuberculosis antigen 6 by enzyme linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA). Indian. J. Tub. 41, 245–251.Google Scholar