Studies on Schiff base complexes: Formation constants of Cu(II), Ni(II) and Zn(II) complexes on N-salicylidene-L-valinate, L-phenylalaninate and L-tryptophanate systems
- 76 Downloads
The computer-based analysis of pH titration data obtained for the determination of the stability constants of M-A-B [M=Ni(II), Cu(II) or Zn(II), A=salicylaldehyde(Sal) and B=L-valine (Val), L-phenylalanine (Phe) and L-tryptophan (Trp) and AB the corresponding Schiff base] indicates preference for the formation of Schiff base complexes rather than the ligands binding as such to the metal ions without fusion of rings. The presence of aliphatic or aromatic side chains in the amino acids has no effect on the basicities of the coordinating sites of the Schiff bases. This is shown by the similarity of stability constant values for different Schiff base complex species.
KeywordsSchiff base complexes stability constants salicyladehyde L-valine L-phenylalanine L-tryptophan
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Albert A and Serjeant E P 1971The determination of ionization constants (London: Chapman and Hall)Google Scholar
- Braunshtein A E and Shemyakin M M 1953Biokhimiya 18 393Google Scholar
- Sigel H 1971–1983Metal ions in biological systems (New York: Marcel Dekker) vol. 1–12Google Scholar
- Sivasankar B 1980Schiff base complexes of d- and f-block metal ions, PhD thesis, Univ. of MadrasGoogle Scholar
- Speakman J C 1940J. Chem. Soc. 855Google Scholar
- Srinivasalu R and Reddy K 1984J. Indian Inst. Sci. 65(5) 127Google Scholar