Growth ofEscherichia coli B in a continuous culture under limitation by inorganic phosphate
- 34 Downloads
During batch cultivation ofEscherichia coli in a medium deficient in inorganic phosphate, the growth curve after exhaustion of phosphate is linear. Results obtained in batch cultivation were used for deriving expressions for bacterial growth at a constant rate in a single-and multi-stage continuous system. It was found experimentally that the theoretical relations derived are satisfactory.
KeywordsSpecific Growth Rate Batch Cultivation Dilution Rate Linear Phase Constant Growth Rate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Fiske, C. H., Subbarow, Y.:The colorimetric determination of phosphorus. J. biol. Chem. 66: 375, 1925.Google Scholar
- Herbert, D.:Some principles of continuous culture. Recent Progress in Microbiology, Almquist and Wiksell Stockholm p. 381, 1958.Google Scholar
- Horiuchi, T.:RNA degradation and DNA and protein synthesis of E. coli B in a phosphate deficient medium. J. Biochem. 46: 1467, 1959.Google Scholar
- Monod, J.:La technique de culture continue; thérie et applications. Ann. Inst. Pasteur 79: 390, 1950.Google Scholar
- Řičica, J., Hospodka, J.:Laboratory apparatus for batch and continuous flow cultivation of microorganisms. (In Czech). Kvasný průmysl 6: 175, 1960.Google Scholar
- Schaeffer, P.:Croissance et respiration d’une souche streptomycino-exigeante de Bacillus cereus privée de l’antibiotique—facteur de croissance. Ann. Inst. Pasteur 78: 624, 1950.Google Scholar
- Ulbert, S.:Study of the logarithmic and linear growth of Escherichia coli B during limitation by inorganic phosphate. (In Czech.) Thesis, College of Chemical Technology, Prague 1964.Google Scholar
- Yerusalimsky, N. D., Neronova, N. M.:Quantitative dependence between the concentration of metabolic products and the rate of growth of microorganisms. (In Russian). Dokl. Akad. Nauk SSSR 161: 1437, 1965.Google Scholar