On the occurrences of dry and wet sequences in the Brahmaputra valley
- 34 Downloads
Occurrence of dry and wet days in the Brahmaputra Valley has been studied using a first-order Markov Chain model. The model is fitted to the daily rainfall series recorded at ten stations widely distributed in the valley. The adequacy of the model is tested and found suitable. At all the stations, dry and wet spells having different durations follow geometric distribution. For pre-monsoon and monsoon seasons, the expected dry and wet days, the expected length of a weather cycle and the return period of dry spells having different, durations are calculated, and the results for different stations are compared.
Key wordsMarkov chain dry spell wet spell weather cycle return period Brahmaputra valley
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bhargava P Net al 1977Monogr. Inst. Agric. Res. Stat. New Delhi p. 76Google Scholar
- Medhi J 1976Indian J. Meteor. Hydrol. Geophys. 27 431Google Scholar
- Sundararaj N and Ramachandra S 1975Indian J. Meteor. Hydrol. Geophys. 26 221Google Scholar
- Victor U S and Sastry P S N 1979Mausam 30 479Google Scholar
- Watterson G A and Legg M P C 1967Aust. Meteor. Mag. 15 1Google Scholar