Measurement of consistency of reconstituted instant potato flakes
- 23 Downloads
Back extrusion and mixing methods were evaluated for estimating the consistency of reconstituted instant potatoes objectively. It was concluded that a mixer equipped with an electronic dynamometer to record mixing torque was most useful for the purpose. The records show how the consistency is developed during mixing, the maximum consistency and the time taken to reach this point. The effect of excessive mixing on texture can also be observed. The new test can provide a rapid means of grading potato flakes.
KeywordsTorque AMERICAN Potato Journal Potato Flake Shear Press Texture Score
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bourne, M. C., J. C Moyer and D. B. Hand. 1966. Measurement of food texture by universal testing machine. Food Technol. 20: 170–174.Google Scholar
- 2.Bourne, M. C. and J. C. Moyer. 1968. The extrusion principle in texture measurement of fresh peas. Food Technol. 22: 1013–1018.Google Scholar
- 3.Englar, W. J. and R. Kudlich. (Undated) Application of the shear press for determining and controlling texture of potato flakes. Rogers Bros. Co., Idaho Falls, Idaho.Google Scholar
- 4.Hartman, J. D., F. M. Isenberg and J. K. Ang. 1963. New applications of the shear press in measuring texture in vegetables and vegetable products. 1. Modifications and attachments to increase the versatility and accuracy of the press. Proc. Amer. Soc. Hort. Sci. 82: 456–476.Google Scholar
- 5.Talburt, W. and O. Smith. 1967. Potato processing. A.V.I. Publishing Co., Connecticut.Google Scholar
- 6.Voisey, P. W., H. Miller and M. Kloek. 1966. An electronic recording dough mixer. 2. An experimental evaluation. Cereal Chem. 43: 420–432.Google Scholar
- 7.Voisey, P. W., H. Miller and M. Kloek. 1967. An electronic recording dough mixer. 5. Measurement of energy used in a Mixograph-type mixer. Cereal Chem. 44: 359–372.Google Scholar
- 8.Voisey, P. W. 1970. Test cells for objective textural measurements. J. Can. Inst. Food Technol. 3: 93–102.Google Scholar
- 9.Voisey, P. W. and J. M. deMan. 1970. An electronic recording viscometer for food products. J. Can. Inst. Food Technol. 3: 130–135.Google Scholar
- 10.Voisey, P. W. and E. Larmond. 1971. Texture of baked beans, a comparison of several methods. J. Texture Studies (In press).Google Scholar