Turbulence statistics of natural airflow within a large Open Top Chamber
- 42 Downloads
The turbulence statistics parameters (variables) of natural airflow within a large Open Top Chamber (OTC), 4 m in high height and 3 m in diameter, were measured with a three-dimensional ultrasonic anemometer/thermometer at Research Station of Changbai Mountain Forest Ecosystems Jilin Province, China in May 2004, for improving the field application of OTP. Results showed that because of the physical limitation, turbulence within OTC exhibited unique map compared with that of natural environments. There were clear daily patterns for most parameters. Turbulence here seemed to be isotropic and closely linked at all directions. Shape of eddies looked like a ’cylinder‘ which was very similar to the shape of OTC. Continuous airflow was always interpreted by large scale eddies from top of OTC and showed high interactive intermittence at all directions.
KeywordsOpen top chamber Turbulence density Time and length scales Intermittence Buoyancy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ham, J. and Owensby, C. 1991. Simulating confounding CO2 and chamber effects in open to field chamber for CO2 enrichment studies [C]. In: Agronomy abstracts. American Society of Agronomists, Madison, Wisconsin 53711 USA, p18.Google Scholar
- Hu Fei. 1995. Turbulence, intermittence and atmospheric boundary layer [M]. Beijing: Science publishing Press, p 77.Google Scholar
- McLeod, A.R. and Baker, C.K. 1988. The use of open field systems to assess yield response to gaseous pollutants [C]. In: Heck, W.W., Taylor, O.C. and Tingey, D.T. (eds.) Assessment of crop loss from air pollutants Elsevier Applied Science, Barking, pp. 181–210.Google Scholar
- Shaw, R.H. 1985. On diffusive and dispersive fluxes in forest canopies [C]. In: B.A. Hutchison and B.B. Hicks (eds.), the Forest-Atmospheric Interaction. D. Reidel. Co., Dordrecht., p407–419.Google Scholar
- Stull, R.B., 1988. An Introduction to boundary layer meterology [M]. Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic publishers, 153–166.Google Scholar
- Wang Chunyi, Gao Suhua and Liu Jiangge. 1994. The structure and performance of OTC-1 open top chamber [J]. Advance in Environmental Science,2(3): 19–31.Google Scholar