Hepatoprotective effect ofVitex negundo against carbon tetrachloride-induced liver damage
- 59 Downloads
Alcoholic extract of the seeds ofVitex negundo Linn. was obtained by cold maceration. A dose of 250 mg/kg (1/6 of LD50) of the extract was selected to study the hepatoprotective action against carbon tetrachloride-induced liver damage. The extract was found to be effective in preventing liver damage which was evident by morphological, biochemical and functional parameters.
KeywordsVitex negundo hepatoprotective carbon tetrachloride
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Chopra, R. N., Nayar, S. L. and Chopra, I. C.:Glossary of Indian Medicinal Plants, C.S.I.R., New Delhi, p.256 (1956).Google Scholar
- 2.Banerji, J., Das, B., Chakrabarty, R. and Jha, H. C.: Isolation of 4,4′-dimethoxy-trans stilbene and flavonoids from leaves and twigs ofV. negundo Linn.Ind. J. Chem. Sect. B org. Chem. Incl. Med. Chem. 27, 597 (1988).Google Scholar
- 3.Bhargava, S. K.: Antifertility effects of the flavonoids (vi–vii) ofV. negundo seeds in dogs,Plant. Med. Phytother. 20, 188 (1986).Google Scholar
- 4.Bhargava, S. K.: Oestrogenic and pregnancy interceptory effects of the flavonoids ofV. negundo seeds in mice,Plant. Med. Phytother. 18, 74 (1984).Google Scholar
- 5.Vohra, S. B., Khan, N. S. Y. and Afaq, S. H.: Effect of four indigenous plants on copper induced ovulation in rabbits,Ind. J. Physiol. Pharmacol. 17, 293 (1973).Google Scholar
- 6.Singh, R. S.:Vanaushadhi Nirdeshika (Ayurvdiya Pharmacopoeia), Bhargava Bhushan Press, Varanasi, p. 199 (1969).Google Scholar
- 7.Rege, N., Dahanukar, S. and Karandikar, S. M.: Hepatoprotective effects ofTinosporia cordifolia against carbon tetrachloride induced liver damage,Indain Drugs, September, 544 (1984).Google Scholar
- 8.Dandiya, P. C. and Cullumbine, H.: Studies onAcorus calamus (iii). Some pharmacological actions of volatione oil,J. Pharmacol. Exp. Thera.125, 353 (1959).Google Scholar
- 10.Mogre, K., Kashalikar, S. J. and Kenurkar, S. M.: Effect of Mn2+ on blood sugar level in rats,Ind. J. Physiol. Pharmacol. 26, 227 (1982).Google Scholar