Effect of Drug substances on the microviscosity of lipid bilayer of liposomal membrane
- 51 Downloads
The microviscosities of the lipid bilayers of liposomal membranes of phospholipids were measured by the intermolecular excimer, formation method employing pyrene as a fluorescence probe, and the effects ofn-alkanols and other local anesthetics on the microviscosity were investigated. The results showed that then-alkanols and the other local anesthetics effectively lowered the microviscosity of the lipid bilayer of the dipalmitoyl phosphatidycholine liposomal membrane in proportion to the concentration of the additives. Moreover, there was a fairly good correlation between the local anesthetic activities and the microviscosity-lowering activities of these drugs. This results suggests that the nerveblocking activity of local anesthetics might have some relation with their activity fluidizing the lipid bilayer of biomembrane.
KeywordsMicroviscosity liposome phospholipid n-alkanols microviscosity-lowering activity anesthetic
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Houslay, M.D. and Stanley, K.K.:Dynamics of Biological Membrane, John Wiley and Son, N.Y., (1982).Google Scholar
- 2.Guyton, A.C.:Medical Physiology, Saunders, N. Y., (1986).Google Scholar
- 3.Chapman, D.:Membrane Fluidity in Biology, Aloia, R.C. (Eds.), Academic Press, New York, (1983).Google Scholar
- 4.Silver, B.L.:Physical Chemistry of Membranes, The Solomon Press, New York, p. 75, (1985).Google Scholar
- 6.Hille, B.: Theories of anesthesia: general perturbations versus specific receptors. InMechanisms of Anesthesia, Flnk, B.R. (Eds.), Vol. 2, Progress in Anesthesiology, Raven Press, N. Y. p. 1, (1980).Google Scholar
- 8.Whetton, A.D., Houslay, M.D., Dodd, N.J.F. and Evans, W.H.: The lipid fluidity of rat liver membrane subfractions,Biochem. J. 214, 854 (1983).Google Scholar
- 9.Demediuk, P., Cowan, D.L. and Moscatelli,E.A.: Effects of plasmenylethanolamine on the dynamic properties of the hydrocarbon region of mixed phosphatidylcholine-phosphatidylethanolamine aqueous dispersions,Biochim. Biophys. Acta,730, 263 (1980).Google Scholar
- 11.Nakae, M. and Asada, S.: Interaction of quinidine with phospholipids. I. Effect on fluidity and permeability of phosphatidyl choline vesicles,Chem. Pharm. Bull.,34, 2146 (1972).Google Scholar
- 12.Chen, R.F. and Edelhoch, H.:Biochemical Fluorescence, Marcel Dekker, Inc., New York, p. 737, (1976).Google Scholar