Effects of some coumarin derivatives on the bovine lens aldose reductase activity
- 28 Downloads
Nine coumarin derivatives were examined for their inhibitory effects on bovine lens aldose reductase activity (bovine-LAR). More than 50% inhibition of BLAR activities was observed in the cases of treatments with decursin, decursinol, esculin, isoimperatorin, oxypeucedanine and isobergapten at the concentration of 10−4M. Especially, BLAR activity was completely inhibited by the treatment of decursin and decursinol at this concentration. At 10−5M, only three coumarins-decursin, decursinol and isoimperatorin, were found to have still relatively higher inhibitory effect.
KeywordsLens aldose reductase coumarin derivatives
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Haymann, S. and Kinoshita, J.H.: Isolation and properties of lens aldose reductase.J. Biol. Chem. 240, 877 (1965).Google Scholar
- 8.Schaeff C.M. and Doughty C.C.: Physical and kinetic properties of homogenous bovine lens aldose reductase.J. Biol. Chem. 251, 2696 (1976).Google Scholar
- 9.Kinoshita, J.H., Mechanisms initiating cataract formation.Invest. Ophhalmol. 13, 713 (1974).Google Scholar
- 10.Collins, J.G.: Aldose reductase and sorbitol dehydrogenase distribution in substructures of normal and diabetic rat lens.Invest. Opthalmol. 16, 242 (1977).Google Scholar
- 14.Gabbay K.H.: Kinetics of an orally absorbed aldose reductase inhibitor, sorbinil.Clin. Pharm. Ther. 30, 693 (1981).Google Scholar
- 15.Datiles, M.: Galactose cataract prevention with sorbinil, an aldose reductase inhibitor; light microscopic study.Invest. Opthalmol. 22, 174, (1982).Google Scholar
- 16.Jedjiniak J.A.: Activators and inhibitors of lens aldose reductase.Invest. Opthalmol. 10, 357 (1971).Google Scholar