Investigations with maleic hydrazide on potatoes I. Effect of time of application and concentration upon potato performance
- 15 Downloads
Maleic hydrazide was applied to the foliage of five varieties of potatoes grown at two California locations, Shafter and Tulelake. Plants were sprayed two and three weeks before harvest, and harvested tubers were held for six months at 45°–55° and 68° F.
No significant differences in yield or specific gravity of tubers due to MH-40 spray treatments were found.
Increasing concentrations of MH-40 spray resulted in a reduction in sprout development and loss of tuber weight in stored potatoes. Application three weeks before harvest was more effective in reducing losses in storage than application two weeks before harvest.
A greater loss in tuber weight and more sprouting occurred at 68° F. than at 45°–55° F.
Applications of MH-40 caused no change in chipping or cooking quality of tubers.
KeywordsSpecific Gravity AMERICAN Potato Journal Tuber Weight Potato Jour Maleic Hydrazide
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Crafts, A. S.,et al. 1952. Comparative studies on herbicide transport. Res. Rept. Western Weed Control Conf.: 97.Google Scholar
- 2.Denisen, E. L. 1953. Response of Kennebec potatoes to maleic hydrazide. Proc. Amer. Soc. Hort. Sci. 62:411–421.Google Scholar
- 4.Highlands, M. E., J. J. Licciardello, and C. E. Cunningham. 1952. Reducing sugar content of Maine-grown potatoes treated with maleic hydrazide. Amer. Potato Jour. 29: 225–227.Google Scholar
- 5.Kennedy, E. J., and O. Smith. 1951. Response of the potato to field application of maleic hydrazide. Amer. Potato Jour. 28: 701–712.Google Scholar
- 6.— and. 1953. Response of seven varieties of potatoes to foliar applications of maleic hyydrazide. Proc. Amer. Soc. Hort. Sci. 61: 395–403.Google Scholar
- 9.Smith, A. E.,et al. 1955. Absorption studies of maleic hydyrazide by plants. U. S. Rubber Co., Naugatuck Chem. Div., Bethany Info. No. 88.Google Scholar
- 10.Timm, H. 1958. Potato sprout inhibitor spray Cal. Agr. 12:6, 12.Google Scholar
- 11.Zukel, J. W. 1957. A literature summary on maleic hydrazide. U.S. Rubber Co., Naugatuck Chem. Div., Naugatuck, Conn., MHIS-No. 8.Google Scholar