The effect of fertilization on the susceptibility of potatoes to late blight
- 41 Downloads
Experiments were conducted in the field and the greenhouse to study the effects of N, P and K nutritions on the incidence of late blight in potatoes.
In the N experiments the results of the field and greenhouse were variable. In the field excessive amounts of N fertilizer had a marked tendency to increase the size of the late blight lesions on the potato leaves. In the greenhouse excessive use of N fertilizer did not increase the late blight lesions on the potato leaves.
The amount of P applied in the fertilizer was the most significant factor in determining the size of the late blight lesions. Large applications of P decreased the size of the late blight lesions on the potato leaves, while the progress in the size of the late blight lesions was most rapid in leaves receiving no application of P.
Significant decreases in the size of the late blight lesions resulted from the high applications of K fertilizers, but K was not as efficient as P in decreasing the size of the late blight lesions.
KeywordsLate Blight Greenhouse Experiment Leaf Roll High Application Large Application
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Butler, E. J. 1919. Immunity and disease in plants. Abst. in Bot. Abst. 2: 176.Google Scholar
- 3.Delacroix, G. 1909. Maladies des plantes cultivees.Maladies parasitaires. p. 91Google Scholar
- 4.Gaumann, E. 1950. Principles of plant infection. p. 267Google Scholar
- 5.Heigham, C. 1926. The manuring of potatoes: summary of points arising at the Rothhamstead conference. Jour. Min. Agr. (Gr. Brit.) 22: 903–906.Google Scholar
- 6.Hoveland, C. S., Berger, K. C. and Darling, H. M. January 1954. The effect of mineral nutrition on the expression of potato leaf roll virus symptoms. Soil Science Society of America Proceedings Vol. 18, No. 1.Google Scholar
- 7.Janssen, J. J. 1930. Influence of fertilization on the health of the potato. Abst. in Amer. Potato. Jour. 7: 79–80.Google Scholar
- 8.Laurent, E. 1900. Experimental investigations on some diseases of plants. Abst. in Exp. Sta. Rec. 11: 550.Google Scholar
- 9.Liebig, T. 1876. Die chomie in ihrer anwendung auf agricultur und physiologie. 9th ed.Google Scholar
- 11.Thomas, B. 1926. Fertilizing in relation to the disease resistance of crops. Abst. in Amer. Potato Jour. 3: 186.Google Scholar