More about the potato nematode,Heterodera rostochiensis Woll., in Peru
- 8 Downloads
Thirteen resistant selections ofS. tuberosum hybrids bred in the U.S.A. and Europe and 44 diploid clones derived fromS. vernei, S. spegazzinii, S. neohawkesii, andS. sanctaerosae each with resistance to one or more pathotypes ofH. rostochiensis were tested for their resistance to three Peruvian populations of this nematode. Only one diploid clone ofS. sanctatrosae was found to be resistant to the three populations of nematodes, but several clones were resistant to one or another of the nematode populations. More clones were found to resist the nematode population collected near Cuzco than those populations collected near Huancayo or Otuzco. Morphometric measurements of body length, stylet length, and distance of median valve to excretory pore, of second stage larvae showed great variation and no clear difference among the three populations. The measurements obtained were closer to pathotype E from England than to any other recognized pathotypes.
KeywordsAMERICAN Potato Journal Nematode Population Excretory Pore Potato Cyst Nematode Golden Nematode
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bazande Segura, C. 1952. The golden nematode in Peru. Plant Disease Reporter, 36: 253.Google Scholar
- 2.Bell, H. F. and S. Alandia. 1956. Golden nematode and other potato diseases in Bolivia. Plant Disease Reporter, 38: 407.Google Scholar
- 4.Bolzman, L. A. and H. Ross. 1972. Differentiation betweenHeterodera rostochiensis Woll. and an undescribed allied species in female color, morphometrics and pathogenicity. Nematologica, 18: 265–269.Google Scholar
- 5.Ellenby, C. and L. Smith. 1968. South American origin of European pathotypes of potato root eelworm. Nematologica, 14: 597–599.Google Scholar
- 6.Green, D. D. 1971. The morphology of the terminal area of round cysts nematodesHeterodera rostochiensis Woll. and allied species. Nematologica, 17: 34–46.Google Scholar
- 8.Martin, A. 1963. El nematode dorado de la papa. Informe Anual Boletin de La Molina 6: 20 pp.Google Scholar
- 10.Quevedo, D., A. Simon and J. E. Toxeopus. 1956. Estudios de resistencia a la anguilula dorada de la papa. Informe Mensual de la Estación Experimental Agricola La Molina, 30: 10–15.Google Scholar
- 12.Webley, D. 1970. A morphometric study of the three pathotypes of the potato cyst eelworm (Heterodera rostochiensis) recognized in Great Britain. Nematologica, 16: 107–112.Google Scholar