Assessment of pesticide use in the U.S. potato industry
Pesticide use in US fall crop potato production was surveyed for the years 1990 to 1994. The purpose of the study was to provide information about the relative importance of each pesticide and potential alternatives. The objectives were to: (1) inventory pesticides used on potatoes, (2) rank the target pests and (3) estimate the economic value of the major pesticides. Extension specialists working on potatoes in twelve states provided the main source of survey data. The most commonly used pesticides in four categories were: fungicide —chlorothalonil, insecticide —methamidophos, herbicide —metribuzin, and “other” -diquat. The most frequent target pests were: early blight (Alternaria solani), late blight (Phytophthora infestans), aphids (primarily Myzuspersicae), Colorado potato beetle (Leptinotarsa decemlineata), lambsquarter (Chenopodium album), and pigweed (Amaranthus spp.). The pesticides that provided the most annual value to potato growers were methamidophos ($281 million), diquat ($86 million), metribuzin ($81 million), CIPC ($56 million) and esfenvalerate ($52 million).
Additional Key WordsPesticides target pests economic value
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Castle, C.N., M.H. Becker, and A.G. Nelson. 1987. Farm business management. MacMillan Publishing Company, New York.Google Scholar
- Cornell University Mann Library. 1995. Potato statistics. Pesticide use statistics. FTP: usdamannlib.cornell.edu.Google Scholar
- Hein, G.L., S.T. Kamble, W. Vorhees, and W. Waggoner. 1992. Pesticide use on specialty crops in Nebraska-1991. Extension bulletin EC 94-1559-D, University of Nebraska.Google Scholar
- National Potato Council. 1992-95. Potato statistical yearbooks. 12705 East 456th Ave, Denver, Colorado.Google Scholar
- Nedrow, Bret A. 1997. Economic benefits of pesticide use in the United States fall potato industry. MS thesis. Department of Agricultural Economics and Rural Sociology, University of Idaho.Google Scholar
- Patterson, P.E., R.L. Smathers, C.W. Gray, and N.R. Rimbey. 1995. Crop inputs cost summary for Idaho. Extension Series No. 95-7, Department of Agricultural Economics and Rural Sociology, University of Idaho.Google Scholar
- Rinehold, J. and J.J. Jenkins. 1994. Pesticide use survey: Oregon pesticide use estimates for vegetable crops, 1993. Extension Service Bulletin EMXXXX, Oregon State UniversityGoogle Scholar
- United States Department of Agriculture, ERS, 1994. RTP updates: pest management practices. USDA Publication No. 2. US Government Printing Office, Washington, DC.Google Scholar
- United States Department of Agriculture, NASS, 1990-94. Agricultural prices Summary. US Government Printing Office, Washington, DC.Google Scholar