Eradication of potato virus Y and S from potato by chemotherapy of cultured axillary bud tips
- 36 Downloads
Ribavirin (virazole) treatment of cultured axillary bud tips (3-4 mm) was tested as a method of eradicating potato virus Y (PVY) and potato virus S (PVS) from two potato cultivars, Norchip and Desiree.
Ribavirin treatment was phytotoxic at all concentrations tested, but cultivars treated at 5 mg/1 were visually similar to the nontreated control cultures after 20 weeks. The buds treated with ribavirin at 20 mg/1 had a survival rate of only 30–40%. Virus assays indicated that 2,74,82, and 89% of the plants were free of PVY, and 1, 71, 83 and 90% were free of PVS, 20 weeks following treatment with 0, 5, 10, and 20 mg/1, respectively. Virus assays indicated that 2, 74, 82, 89% of the plants were free of PVY, and 1, 71, 83 and 90% were free of PVS, 20 weeks following treatment with 0, 5, 10, and 20 mg/1 ribavirin treatment respectively for cultivar Norchip. Desiree cultivar assayed 2, 69, 80 and 86% free of PVY and 2, 74, 85 and 93% free of PVS, 20 weeks following treatment with 0, 5, 10, and 20 mg/1 ribavirin treatment respectively.
Additional Key WordsRibavirin virus free seedstock Solatium tuberosum
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Hansen, A.J. 1979. Inhibition of apple chlorotic leaf spot virus inChenopodium quinoa by ribavirin. Plant Dis Rept 63:17–29.Google Scholar
- 3.Klein, R.E. and C.H. Livingston. 1982. Eradication of potato virus X from potato by ribavirin treatment of cultured potato shoot tips. Am Potato J 59:359–365.Google Scholar
- 4.Lerch, B. 1977. Inhibition of the biosynthesis of potato virus X by ribavirin. Phytopathol Z 89:44–49.Google Scholar
- 6.Schuster, G. 1979. On some interactions of Virazole and plant hormones in virus infected plants. Phytopathol Z 94:72–79.Google Scholar
- 9.Stace-Smith, R. and F.C. Mellor. 1968. Eradication of potato virus X and S by thermotherapy and axillary bud culture. Phytopathology 53:199–203.Google Scholar