A new cause for an old disease:Verticillium dahliae found on Prince Edward Island
- 24 Downloads
Verticillium dahliae Kleb, was isolated from soils and/or plants sampled from 20 of 36 potato fields surveyed on Prince Edward Island in 1985. A maximum of 290 microsclerotia/100 g dry soil was obtained from one field. The pathogen was found infecting lower stems of plants most often when the potato crop followed a crop of peas or a forage with clover. This constitutes a new finding since previously onlyV. alboatrum Reink & Berth, had been reported as the causal agent of Verticillium wilt on P.E.I.
KeywordsAMERICAN Potato Journal Potato Variety Verticillium Wilt Potato Field Irish Cobbler
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ayers, G.W. 1963. Studies on Verticillium wilt of potatoes. Am Potato J 29:201–205.Google Scholar
- 2.Ayers, G.W. and R.R. Hurst. 1939. Verticillium wilt of potatoes in Prince Edward Island. Sci Agric 19:722–735.Google Scholar
- 3.Beckman, C.H. 1973. The incidence of Verticillium species in soils, vines, and tubers of Rhode Island-grown potatoes. Plant Dis Rep 57:928–932.Google Scholar
- 4.Benson, D.M. and L.J. Ashworth Jr. 1976. Survival ofVerticillium albo-atrum on nonsusceptible roots and residues in field soil. Phytopathology 66:883–887.Google Scholar
- 5.Busch, L.V. 1966. Susceptibility of potato varieties to Ontario isolates ofVerticillium albo-atrum. Am Potato J 43:439–442.Google Scholar
- 7.Davis, J.R., J.J. Pavek and D.L. Corsini. 1983. A sensitive method for quantifyingVerticillium dahliae colonization in plant tissue and evaluating resistance among potato genotypes. Phytopathology 73:1009–1014.Google Scholar
- 11.Pegg, G.F. 1974. Verticillium diseases. Rev Plant Pathol 53:157–182.Google Scholar
- 13.Rowe, R.C. 1982. Tomato wilts. Amer Vegetable Grower 30(8):14.Google Scholar
- 16.Tartier, L.M. and A. Devaux. 1977. Enquete sur la fletrissure verticillienne de la pomme de terre de la region du nord de Montreal. Phytoprotection 58:115–120.Google Scholar
- 17.Weingartner, D.P., D.W. Dickson and J.D. Dilbeck. 1974. Early dying disease on potatoes in north Florida. Plant Dis Rep 58:374–378.Google Scholar