A 3600 years paleoclimatic change inferred from organic δ13C and TOC/TN of the Gucheng Lake sediments, southeast China
- 64 Downloads
A 6.2 m thick core of Gucheng Lake sediment provided a 3600 years record of climate change. The contents of the TOC in the core changed from 2.63% to 8.48%, and the δ13C values of organic matter were from −21.54% to −27.3%. The TOC/TN ratios indicated that the organic materials in sediments were from lake plankton and land-derived plants.
The 2.9–22 m core interval with high TOC/TN ratios, low δ13C values and low contents of TOC indicated a cold climate stage. The 6.2–5.5 m and 0.4–0.1 m intervals were characterized by low TOC/TN ratios, high δ13C values and high contents of TOC, and reflected temperate climate stages.
Key wordsorganic carbon isotope paleoclimate Gucheng Lake
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Degens, E. T., 1969. Biogeochemistry of stable carbon isotocpe.In: Organic Geochemistry (eds, G. Eglinton and M. T. J. Murphy) pp. 304–329.Google Scholar
- Ma, Y., Wang, S. M., Hongxi, P., 1996. Singnificance of diatom and pigment in the study on palaeoenvironmental evolution.Journal of Lake Sciences 8(1): 16–26. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Nakai, N., 1986. Paleoenvironmental features of Lake Biwa deduced from carbon isotope compositions and organic C/N ratios of the upper 800 m samples of 1400 m cored column.Proc. Jap. Acad. 62B: 279–282.Google Scholar
- Nakai, N., Koyama, M., 1987. Reconstruction of paleoenvironment from the view-points of the inorganic constituents, C/N ratio and carbon isotopic ratio in the 1400 m core taken from Lake Biwa,In: S. Horie (Editor), History of Lake Biwa. Kyoto Univ. Contrib. pp. 137–156.Google Scholar
- Teeri, J. A., Stowe, L. G., 1976. Climate patterns and the distribution of C4 grasses in North America.Oecologia. 23: 1–12.Google Scholar
- Van der Merwe, N. J., 1982. Carbon isotopes, photosynthesis and archacology.Am. Sci. 70: 596–606.Google Scholar
- Wang, S. M., 1995. Paleolimnology of Hulun Lake. Publishing House of Chinese Science and Technology University, Hefei.Google Scholar
- Xiang, L., Wang, S. M., 1994. Determination of recent varying, sedimentation rates in Gucheng Lake using210Pb and137Cs.Mem. of Nanjing Inst. of Geog. and Limnol. Acad. Sinica. 11: 70–82. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Yang, X. D., Wang, S. M., Ji, L. et al., 1994. Spore-pollen assemblage and environmental change of Gucheng Lake since Late Holocene.Journal of Lake Sciences. 6(3): 233–239. (in Chinese)Google Scholar