Lipids in sediments from Beibu Gulf South China Sea and their geochemical significance
Examination of solvent-extractable lipids in sediments from Beibu Gulf, South China Sea by capillary gas chromatography (GC) and capillary gas chromatography-mass spectrometry (GC-MS) resulted in the first identifications of β, γ-carotanes and their C19 to C31 homologs in the modern sediments from the China Seas. Distributional features of these (mainly triterpenoid and steroid hydrocarbons) biomarkers are discussed and the possibility of using these compounds as indicators of source of materials, diagenesis and depositional conditions is explored. It was found that the biomarkers in this region are mixtures of allochthonous (terrigenous and/or crude oil leak or pollution) and antochthonous (marine) organic components. The biomarders have proved to be of value for understanding sedimentation.
KeywordsOkinawa Trough Cholestane Gammacerane Tricyclic Terpanes Guaymas Basin
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Aquino Neto, F.R., et al., 1983. Occurrence and formation of tricyclic and tetracyclic terpanes in sediments and petroleum.In: Adv. in Org. Geochem. 1981, John Wiley and Sons,London, pp. 659–667.Google Scholar
- Brassell, S.G. et al., 1983. Steroids and triterpenoids in deep sea sediments as environmental and diagenentic indicators.In: Adv. in Org. Geochem. 1981, pp. 684–697.Google Scholar
- Chen Lirong, et al., 1989. Study on authigenic geothite and mangan spar pellets in the sediments of the Beibu Gulf of Tonkin.Marine Science 1: 6–9 (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Ekweozer, G.M. and O.P. Strause, 1982. Tricyclic terpanes in the athabasca oil sands: their geochemistry.In: Adv. in Org. Geochem. 1981. John Wiley and Sons. pp. 746–768.Google Scholar
- Jiang Shanchun, et al., 1986. Monoterpinenes as terrigenous markers in Okinawa Trough sediments. Geochemica,2: 161–165 (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Jiang Shanchun et al., 1986. Distributional characteristics of the bacterial markers—unsaturated fatty acids in the sediments from the Okinawa Trough.In: Proceedings of Organic Geochemical Reseaches, Science Press, pp. 168–175 (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Jiang Zhusheng, 1983. β-carotenes and their geochemial characteristics in Karamay crude oil.Oil & Gas Geology,4(2): 151–159 (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Lung Kanhou et al., 1984. chemistry of Marine Natural Products (I), Chinese Ocean Press, 215–216 (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Shi Jiyang, 1986. β-carotene and gammacerane in the sediments of land facies and crude oils.In: Proceedings of Organic Geochemical researches, Science Press, 59–67 (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Simoneit, B. R. T., 1979. Organic geochemistry of recent sediments from Guaymas Basin, Gulf of California.Deep Sea Research,26A:897–891.Google Scholar
- Simoneit, B. R. T., 1986. Hydrothermal petroleum from immature diatomite sediments—Guaymas Basin, Gulf of California,In: Annual Research Reports of Organic Geochemistry Laboratory, Academia Sinica, Guizhou People's Publishing House, pp. 464–501 (Chinese translation).Google Scholar
- Zhao Yiyang et al., 1986. The characteristics of monocarboxylic acids and aliphatic hydrocarbons in the modern sediments from the Beibu Gulf, South China Sea.In: Annual Research Reports of OrganicGoogle Scholar