Screening for antibacterial and antifungal activities in some marine algae from the Fujian coast of China with three different solvents
- 436 Downloads
Three different solvents viz ethanol, acetone and methanol-toluene (3:1) were used to extract antibiotics from 23 species of marine algae belonging to the Chlorophyta, Phaeophyta and Rhodophyta. Their crude extracts were tested for antibacterial and antifungal activities. Among them, the ethanol extract showed the strongest activity against the bacteria and fungi tested. Four species of the Rhodophyta (Laurencia okamurai, Dasya scoparia, Grateloupia filicina andplocamium telfairiae) showed a wide spectrum of antibacterial activity. Every solvent extract from the four species was active against all the bacteria tested. The test bacteriumPseudomonas solancearum and the fungusPenicilium citrinum were most sensitive to the extracts of marine algae. In general, the extracts of seaweeds inhibited bacteria more strongly than fungi and species of the Rhodophyta showed the greatest activity against the bacteria and fungi tested.
Key wordsmarine algae antibacterial activity antifungal activity solvent extracts
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Caccamese, S., Azzolina, R., 1981. Antimicrobial and antiviral activities of some marine algae from eastern Sicily.Bot. Mar 24: 365–367.Google Scholar
- Chen, Z. H., Zheng, Y., Zhuang, H. R., 1992. Antibacterial activity of thirty species of marine algae from Dong Shong in Fujian Province, China (in Chinese).Wuyi Science Journal 9: 363–367.Google Scholar
- Ma, J. W., Tan, W. C., 1984. Screening for anti-microbial activities in marine algae from the Qingdao coast, China.Hydrobiologia 22: 517–520.Google Scholar
- Padmakumar, K., Ayyakkannu, K., 1997. Seasonal Variation of Antibacterial and Antifungal Activities of the Extracts of Marine Algae from Southern Coasts of India.Bot. Mar. 40: 507–515.Google Scholar
- Parekh, K. S., Parekh, H. H., Rao, P. S., 1984. Antibacterial activity of Indian seaweeds.Phykos.23: 216–221.Google Scholar
- Pesando, D., Caram, B., 1984. Screening of marine algae from French Mediterranean coast for antibacterial and antifungal activity,Bot. Mar.,27: 381–386.Google Scholar
- Rao, P., Parekh, K. S., 1981. Antibacterial activity of Indian seaweed extracts.Bot. Mar. 24: 577–582.Google Scholar