Some effects of irrigation and soil compaction on potatoes
- 29 Downloads
Supplemental irrigation increased yield and number of tubers in three of the four years studied. There was no significant effect of irrigation on the specific gravity of Katahdin potatoes.
A separate study relating the effect of compaction on potato yield indicated that sprayer traffic reduced yields from 8 to 31%.
KeywordsSpecific Gravity AMERICAN Potato Journal Soil Compaction Potato Yield Supplemental Irrigation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Blake, G. R. et al. 1955. Studies on supplemental irrigation of potatoes in New Jersey. Am. Potato J. 32: 327–331.Google Scholar
- 2.Bradley, G. A. and A. J. Pratt. 1954. The response of potatoes to irrigation at different levels of available moisture. Am. Potato J. 31: 305–310.Google Scholar
- 3.Brasher, E. P. 1948. Effect of plowing and disking soils on the yields of tomatoes, muskmelons and potatoes. Am. Soc. Hort. Sci. 51: 357–359.Google Scholar
- 4.Brill, G. D. et al. 1961. Irrigation and soil management studies with potatoes in New Jersey. N. J. Agr. Expt. Sta. Bull. 797.Google Scholar
- 5.Bushnell, J. 1953. Sensitivity of potatoes to soil porosity. Ohio Agr. Expt. Sta. Res. Bull. 726.Google Scholar
- 6.Fulton, J. M. and H. F. Murwin. 1955. The relationship between available soil moisture levels and potato yields. Can. J. Agr. Sci. 35: 552–556.Google Scholar
- 7.Hardenburg, E. V. 1948. Effect of sprayer wheel injury on yield of potatoes. Am. Potato J. 25: 128–130.Google Scholar
- 8.Jacobs, W. C. et al. 1952. The influence of irrigation on the yield and quality of potatoes on Long Island. Am. Potato J. 29:292–296.Google Scholar
- 9.Jacobs, W. C. and M. B. Russell. 1952. The effect of tillage practices on the yield of Irish Cobbler potatoes. Am. Potato J. 29: 136–141.Google Scholar
- 10.Pullen, W. E. and W. E. Schrumpf, 1962. The economics of irrigating potatoes in Maine, 1956–59. Maine Agr. Expt. Sta. Bull. 603.Google Scholar
- 11.Taylor, S. A. and B. Rognerud. 1959. Water management for potato production. Utah’s Farm and Home Sci. 20: 82–84.Google Scholar