Some effects of irrigation and soil compaction on potatoes
Supplemental irrigation increased yield and number of tubers in three of the four years studied. There was no significant effect of irrigation on the specific gravity of Katahdin potatoes.
A separate study relating the effect of compaction on potato yield indicated that sprayer traffic reduced yields from 8 to 31%.
KeywordsSpecific Gravity AMERICAN Potato Journal Soil Compaction Potato Yield Supplemental Irrigation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Blake, G. R. et al. 1955. Studies on supplemental irrigation of potatoes in New Jersey. Am. Potato J. 32: 327–331.Google Scholar
- 2.Bradley, G. A. and A. J. Pratt. 1954. The response of potatoes to irrigation at different levels of available moisture. Am. Potato J. 31: 305–310.Google Scholar
- 3.Brasher, E. P. 1948. Effect of plowing and disking soils on the yields of tomatoes, muskmelons and potatoes. Am. Soc. Hort. Sci. 51: 357–359.Google Scholar
- 4.Brill, G. D. et al. 1961. Irrigation and soil management studies with potatoes in New Jersey. N. J. Agr. Expt. Sta. Bull. 797.Google Scholar
- 5.Bushnell, J. 1953. Sensitivity of potatoes to soil porosity. Ohio Agr. Expt. Sta. Res. Bull. 726.Google Scholar
- 6.Fulton, J. M. and H. F. Murwin. 1955. The relationship between available soil moisture levels and potato yields. Can. J. Agr. Sci. 35: 552–556.Google Scholar
- 7.Hardenburg, E. V. 1948. Effect of sprayer wheel injury on yield of potatoes. Am. Potato J. 25: 128–130.Google Scholar
- 8.Jacobs, W. C. et al. 1952. The influence of irrigation on the yield and quality of potatoes on Long Island. Am. Potato J. 29:292–296.Google Scholar
- 9.Jacobs, W. C. and M. B. Russell. 1952. The effect of tillage practices on the yield of Irish Cobbler potatoes. Am. Potato J. 29: 136–141.Google Scholar
- 10.Pullen, W. E. and W. E. Schrumpf, 1962. The economics of irrigating potatoes in Maine, 1956–59. Maine Agr. Expt. Sta. Bull. 603.Google Scholar
- 11.Taylor, S. A. and B. Rognerud. 1959. Water management for potato production. Utah’s Farm and Home Sci. 20: 82–84.Google Scholar