A Mössbauer study of hyperfine interaction in the systems Co x Mn3−x−y Fe y O4 and Ni x Mn3−x−y Fe y O4
- 19 Downloads
A Mössbauer study of systems Co x Mn3−x−y Fe y O4 and Ni x Mn3−x−y Fe y O4 for values ofx=0·1, 0·5, 1·0 andy ranging from 0·1 to 2·0 in steps of 0·2 have been made. At room temperature samples fory values ranging in between 0·1 to 0·5 exhibit paramagnetic behaviour while all spectra for values ofy between 0·6 to 0·8 show relaxation effects. Well-defined hyperfine Zeeman spectra are observed for all the samples withy>0·8 and resolved in two sextets corresponding to octahedral and tetrahedral site symmetries and a central doublet probably due to the presence of super-paramagnetic particles in the system. The hyperfine field at57Fe nucleus reduces with decreasing iron cobalt and nickel concentration. These observations have been explained in terms of site preference of cations and exchange interactions.
KeywordsHyperfine interaction octahedral hyperfine field tetrahedral hyperfine field quadrupole splitting isomer shift octahedral site preference energy super exchange interaction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Daniels J M and Rosencwaig A 1970Can. J. Phys. 48 1381Google Scholar
- Filoti G, Gelberg A, Gomella V and Rosenberg M 1972aInt. J. Magn. 2 65Google Scholar
- Filoti G, Gelgerg A, Rosenberg M, Spanu V and Telnic P 1972bPhys. Status Solidi B14 K91Google Scholar
- Goldanskii V I and Makarov E F 1968Chemical application of Mössbauer spectroscopy (ed) V I Goldanskii and R H Herber (New York: Academic Press)Google Scholar
- Gorter E W 1954Philips Res. Rept. 9 295Google Scholar
- Singh V K, Chandra R and Lokanathan S 1981Phys. Stat. Solidi B105 K13Google Scholar