Lattice dynamical study of body-centred tetragonal indium
- 54 Downloads
The phonon dispersion curves, phonon frequency distribution function as well as the lattice specific heat of body-centred tetragonal indium have been deduced using a lattice dynamical model which includes central, angular and volume forces. Six elastic constants, four zone boundary frequencies and an equilibrium condition were used in the evaluation of the force constants. It is shown that this model is elastically consistent and satisfies the symmetry requirements of the lattice, the phonon frequencies of indium deduced from it are in very good agreement with the experimental values of Reichardt and Smith and the theoretical values of Garrett and Swihart, and theθ D values compare well with the experimental values over a wide temperature range. The apparent discrepancies in the phonon dispersion curves and theθ D-T curves obtained from deficient models, importance of umklapp processes and the significance of angular forces in the lattice dynamical models are discussed.
KeywordsBody-centred tetragonal indium cgw angular forces elastic consistency translational symmetry phonon dispersion curves lattice specific heat lattice dynamics
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ashokkumar 1973Non-Central interactions in metals, Ph.D. Thesis Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi p. 70Google Scholar
- Clark B C, Gazis D C and Wallis R F 1964Phys. Rev. 134 A1486Google Scholar
- Clusius K and Schachinger L 1952Z. Angew. Phys. 4 442Google Scholar
- Dewames, R E and Lehman G W 1964Phys. Rev. 135 A170Google Scholar
- Dewames R E, Wolfram T and Lehman G W 1965Phys. Rev. 138 A717Google Scholar
- Joardar P and Chakraborty S 1979Indian J. Pure Appl. Phys. 17 794Google Scholar
- Lehman G W, Wolfram T and Dewames R E 1965Lattice dynamics (New York: Pergamon Press), p. 101Google Scholar
- Ramamurthy V and Neelakandan K 1978Indian J. Phys. 52A 34Google Scholar
- Ramamurthy V and Rajendraprasad S B 1982Can. J. Phys. 60 (in press)Google Scholar
- Sharan B and Bajpai R P 1970Indian J. Pure Appl. Phys. 8 331Google Scholar