Ray tracing studies of a complete plane grating monochromator beam line
- 47 Downloads
Optical design of a plane grating monochromator beam line for X-ray spectroscopic studies to be installed on INDUS-1 is studied using ray tracing technique. The main components of the beam line are pre- and post-elliptical mirrors and the plane mirror-grating dispersing system. The ideal positions of the optical components are decided by using our analytical formulation of the Riemer’s kinetic principle for reflecting synchrotron radiation onto the same spot of the dispersing grating. The program is developed indigenously and can be used on a PC. The tangent error and microroughness of the mirrors is explicitly accounted for in the program. The wavelength dependent absorption of radiation at the different reflecting surfaces is also included for calculations of the optical throughput. The dependence of the final image line shape and resolution on various beam line parameters is calculated. The results are useful in deciding the tolerances of the various beam line components and their positions.
KeywordsSynchrotron radiation ray tracing image characteristics
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- S S Ramamurthi,Proc. Int. Conf. Synchrotron Radiation Sources, Feb. 1992, Centre for Advanced Technology, Indore, p 9Google Scholar
- H Petersen,Soft X-ray optics and technology, SPIE73, 262 (1986)Google Scholar
- A Pimpale, C Mande, B D Padalia, A S Nigavekar, V B Sapre, R Shankar and V G Bhide,Beam line for photo-absorption studies using synchrotron radiation source INDUS 1, Inter-University Consortium for DAE Facilities, Indore, Report (unpublished) June 1990Google Scholar
- M Born and E Wolf,Principles of Optics (6th Ed.) (Oxford, Pergamon Press, 1980)Google Scholar
- R L Johnson inHandbook on synchrotron radiation edited by E Koch (Amsterdam, North Holland, 1983), Vol.1A p. 180Google Scholar
- A V Pimpale, S K Deshpande, V S Edlabadkar, V B Sapre and V G Bhide,Proc. Int. Conf. Synchrotron Radiation Sources, Feb 1991, Centre for Advanced Technology, Indore, p. 364 (1992)Google Scholar
- D W Lynch and W R Hunter inHandbook of Optical Constants of Solids edited by E D Palik (Orlando, Academic Press, 1985) p. 275Google Scholar