A theorem has been proved giving a sufficient condition for a first order phase transition in a gas. The corresponding fugacity expansions for the isotherms in the different phases have been derived.
KeywordsPartition function Massieu-Planck function thermodynamic stability grand partition function first order phase transition analytic continuation thermodynamic limit isotherms
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Copson E T 1935Introduction to the theory of functions of a complex variable (see Secs 8.3 and 8.31)Google Scholar
- Cailletet L and Mathias E 1886C.R. Acad. Sci. 102 1202Google Scholar
- Münster A 1969Statistical Thermodynamics Vol. 1 (New York: Academic Press)Google Scholar
- Titchmarsh E C 1939Theory of Functions 2nd ed. (London)Google Scholar
- Whittaker E T and Watson G N 1963A Course of Modern Analysis (Cambridge University Press)Google Scholar