Statistical properties of high-frequency internal waves in Qingdao offshore area of the Yellow Sea
- 32 Downloads
Densely-sampled thermistor chain data obtained from a shallow-water acoustics experiment in the Yellow Sea off the coast of Qingdao were analyzed to examine the statistical properties of the 6 to 520 cpd frequency band internal waves observed. The negative skewness coefficients and the greater-than-3 kurtosis coefficients indicated non-Gaussianity of the internal waves. The probability distributions were negatively skewed and abnormally high peaks. Nonlinear properties, as exemplified by the asymmetric waveshapes of the internal waves in the offshore area are described quantitatively.
Key wordsshallow-water internal wave skewness kurtosis non-Gaussianity nonlinearity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Liu, X. A., Huang, P. J., Chen, X. Y. et al., 1998. A nonlinear model for nonbreaking shoaling random waves.Acta Oceanologica Sinica 20(3): 12–18. (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Saggio, A., Imberger, J., 1998. Internal wave weather in a stratified lake.Limnol. Oceanogr. 43 (8): 1780–1795.Google Scholar
- Thorpe, S. A., Lemmin, U., 1999. Internal waves and temperature fronts on slopes.Ann. Geophy.-Atmosph. Hydrosph. Space Sci. 17(9): 1227–1234.Google Scholar
- Wang, T., Gao, T. F., Jiang, D. J. et al., 2000. Nonlinear internal tides in the Yellow Sea. Proc. 10th Intl. Offshore Polar Eng. Conf., ISOPE, Seattle, Vol. III, 171–174.Google Scholar
- Xu, Z. T., 1999. Dynamics of Internal Waves in the Ocean. Sci. Press, Beijing, p. 1–336. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Zhao, J. S., 1992. Oceanography in China, 3, Study of Internal Waves in a Shallow Sea. Ocean Press, Beijing, p. 1–102. (in Chinese)Google Scholar