Perturbation expansions and series acceleration procedures. Part I. ε-convergence and critical parameters
- 24 Downloads
A simple acceleration of convergence technique known as the ‘ε-convergence algorithm’ (ea) is applied to determine the critical temperatures and exponents. Several illustrations involving well-known series expansions appropriate to two- and three-dimensional Ising models, three-dimensional Heisenberg models, etc., are given. Apart from this, a few recently studied ferrimagnetic systems have also been analysed to emphasise the generality of the approach. Where exact solutions are available, our estimates obtained from this procedure are in excellent agreement. In the case of other models, the critical parameters we have obtained are consistent with other estimates such as those of the Padé approximants and group theoretic methods.
The same procedure is applied to the partial virial series for hard spheres and hard discs and it is demonstrated that the divergence of pressure occurs when the close-packing density is reached. The asymptotic form for the virial equation of state is found to beP/ρkT ∼ (1 −ρ/ρ c −1 for hard spheres and hard discs.
Apart from the estimation of ‘critical parameters’, we have applied theea and the parametrised Euler transformation to sum the partial, truncated virial series for hard spheres and hard discs. The resulting values of pressure so obtained, compare favourably with the molecular dynamics results.
KeywordsIsing Model Critical Exponent Hard Disc Hard Sphere Virial Equation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Baker G A Jr and Graves Morris P 1981 inEncyclopaedia of mathematics (ed.) Gian Carlo Rota (Reading, Ma.: Addison Wesley) Vol. 13Google Scholar
- Baram A and Luban M 1978J. Phys. C12 L659Google Scholar
- Croxton C A 1975Introduction to liquid state physics (New York: John Wiley)Google Scholar
- Darboux G 1878J. Math. Elem. 6 1, 377Google Scholar
- Gaunt D S and Guttman A J 1974 inPhase transitions and critical phenomena (eds) C Domb and M S Green (New York: Academic Press) Vol. 3 p. 181Google Scholar
- Knopp K 1949Theory and applications of infinite series (London: Blackie and Son)Google Scholar
- Pearce C J and Buckingham M J 1976J. Phys. A9 L107Google Scholar
- Rushbrooke G S, Baker G A Jr and Wood P J 1974 inPhase transitions and critical phenomena (eds) C Domb and M S Green (New York: Academic Press)Google Scholar
- Sangaranarayanan M V and Rangarajan S K 1984Pramana 22 Google Scholar