The electron-ion interactions in tetragonal metals
- 18 Downloads
The electron-ion interactions are evaluated exactly over the actual shape of the atomic polyhedron, instead of approximating it by a sphere or an ellipsoid, by making use of simple co-ordinate axes transformations and lattice symmetry in the case of fct and bct structures. It is shown that there are several alternative ways of expressing the interference factor,S(q), one of which was obtained by Sharan and others in the case of indium. By comparing these expressions with the latter, with those of corresponding cubic structures as well as with those obtained under spherical approximation respectively, the crystallographic equivalence and stability of tetragonal structures as well as the validity of Wigner-Seitz approximation are discussed.
KeywordsElectron-ion interaction interference factor coordinate axes transformation crystallographic equivalence fct lattice bct lattice
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ashokkumar 1973Non-central interactions in metals, Ph.D. Thesis, Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi p. 49Google Scholar
- Ramamurthy V 1979 to be publishedGoogle Scholar
- Soma T 1976Phys. Status Solidi B74 K67Google Scholar
- Soma T 1977Phys. Status Solidi B79 K53Google Scholar
- Wilson A H 1954Theory of metals (Cambridge: University Press) p. 75Google Scholar
- Wyckoff R W G 1965Crystal structures (New York: John Wiley)1 18Google Scholar