The dielectric constant of the binary liquid systemn. heptane + methanol near its critical temperature
The electrical capacitance of the binary liquid mixturen. heptane + methanol at its critical composition is studied in both one-phase and two-phase regions. The two-phase capacitance data are used with the known functional forms for the order parameter and the diameter to obtainT c andc c with greater precision. This helps in reducing the number of unknown parameters in the functional form for the one-phase capacitance. The data show consistency with an alpha (α) exponent for dc/dt in the one phase region.
KeywordsCritical phenomena binary liquids critical exponents critical temperature critical capacitance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Arkhangelskii K V and Semencheko V K 1962Russ. J. Phys. Chem. 36 1358Google Scholar
- Bevington P R 1969Data reduction and error analysis for the physical sciences (New York: McGraw-Hill)Google Scholar
- Chernova N I 1965Russ. J. Phys. Chem. 39 1275Google Scholar
- Greer S C and Jacobs D T 1980J. Phys. Chem. (USA) 84 2888Google Scholar
- Gunasekaran M K 1983Techniques and studies of electrical properties of critical binary liquid systems, Ph.D. thesis, Indian Institute of Science, BangaloreGoogle Scholar
- Gunasekaran M K, Guha S, Vani V and Gopal E S R 1985Ber. Bunsenges Phys. Chem. 89 1278Google Scholar
- Jyothi Balakrishnan, Gunasekaran M K and Gopal E S R 1984Indian J. Pure Appl. Phys. 22 286Google Scholar
- Kumar N and Jayannavar A M 1981J. Phys. C14 L785Google Scholar
- Ranjan M, Jayalaxmi Y, Vani V, Guha S and Gopal E S R 1986Indian J. Phys. A60 98Google Scholar
- Viswanathan B, Govindarajan K and Gopal E S R 1973Indian J. Pure Appl. Phys. 11 157Google Scholar