Infective endocarditis in infants and children
- 28 Downloads
Due to changing characteristics of infective endocarditis in the past two decades, we, retrospectively analysed 28 cases of infective endocarditis in children of age less than 15 years at Sher-i-Kashmir Institute of Medical Sciences, Soura, Srinagar from December, 1983 to November, 1993.
The incidence of disease was observed as 1.5 cases/1000 children admitted with a M:F ratio of 2∶1. Three patients were of age less than 2 years (group I) as 25 were above 2 years of age (group II). The two groups had significant difference in portal of entry of infection, infective microorganisms, echocardiography and prognosis. Congenital heart disease was the commonest underlying cardiac lesion in 24 (85.71%) patients. Portal of entry of infection was apparent in 35.71% only; dental route being more frequent in group II. Streptococcus viridans (in 9 cases) followed by staphylococcus aureus (in 4 cases) were the two common organisms isolated.
Patients were treated, for a period of 4–6 weeks with a over all mortality rate of 25%. Factors associated with poor prognosis were age <2 years, staphylococcal infection ad negative blood cultures. Heart failure resistant to medical therapy was a leading cause of death.
Key wordsinfective endocarditis Enchocardiography Prognosis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Von Reyon CF, Levy BS, Arbeit RD, Friedland G, Crumpacker CS. Infective endocarditis: An analysis based on strict case definition.Ann Int Medicine 1981; 91 (Part-I) 505.Google Scholar
- 10.Jones HR, Seikerh RG, Seraci JE. Neurological manifestations of bacterial endocarditis.Ann of Int. medicine 1969; 71:21.Google Scholar
- 12.I Weingerger, Z Rotenberg, D Zacharonitchet al. Native valve infective endocarditis in 1970's versas the 1980's under lying cardiac lesions and infecting organisms.Clinical Cardiology 1990; 13: 94.Google Scholar
- 13.Georg K, Dieter H, Axel H, Bennol Georg's. Increased risk of bacteril endocarditis in inflammtory bowel disese.The Amm. J. of Med. 1992; 91:391–395.Google Scholar
- 15.Stanton BZ, Bathmore RS, Clemens JD, Canging repectrum of infective endocarditis in children. Analysis of 26 cases 1970–1979.Ann J Dis child 1984; 138: 720–725.Google Scholar
- 17.Romero J, Bouza E, Buzonlet al. Endocarditis on a Gove-Textube prosthesis.Pediatric Infec Dis J 1985: 296–298.Google Scholar
- 19.Ravinovichs, Evans J Smith IM, Janury L. Longterm review of beterial endocarditis.Ann intern med 1965; 63:185–198.Google Scholar
- 24.Andrew JB, Brenda P, Haytham J, Robert CT. The role of two dimensional echocardiography in the diagnosis of infective endocarditis.Angiology 1991; 552–560.Google Scholar