Spline regularization of numerical inversion of Mellin transform
- 21 Downloads
A method is described for inverting the Mellin transform which uses an expansion in Laguerre polynomials and converts the Mellin transform to the Laplace transform, then the Laplace transform is converted to the first kind convolution integral equation by a suitable substitution.
The integral equation so obtained is an ill-posed problem and we use the spline regularization to solve it. The performance of the method is illustrated by the inversion of the test functions available in the literature [J. Inst. Math. & Appl. 20 (1977), p. 73], [J. Math. Comp. 53 (1989), p. 589], [J. Sci. Stat. Comp. 4 (1983), p. 164]. The effectiveness of the method is shown by results obtained demonstrated by means of tables and diagrams.
KeywordsLaplace Transform Laguerre Polynomial Numerical Inversion Spline Method Convolution Equation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Aki, K. and Richards, G., Quantitative Seismology: Theory and Methds', Freeman, San Francisco, (1980).Google Scholar
- Budinger, T. F., Physical Attributes of Single-Photon Tomography, J. Nucl. Med., 21 (1980), 6.Google Scholar
- De Hoog, F. R., Review of Fredholm Equations of the First Kind, In the Application and Numerical Solutions of Interal Equations, Editors, R. S. Anderssen, F. R. de Hoog and M. A. Lucas, Published by Sijthoff and Noordhoff (1980).Google Scholar
- Franzone, P. C. et al., An Approach to Inverse Calculation of Epi-cardiol Potentials from Body Surface Mpas, J. Adv. Cardiol 21(1977), 167–170.Google Scholar
- Jaynes, E. T., Papers on Problability, Statistics and Statistical Physics, Synthese Library (1983).Google Scholar
- Snedon, J.N., The Use of Integral Transforms, McGraw-Hill, New York, (1972).Google Scholar
- Stoer, J. and Bulirsch, R., Introduction to Numerical Analysis, Springer-Verlag, (1978).Google Scholar
- Szego, G., Orthogonal Polynomials, American Math. Society Colloq. Publications, 23 (AMS Providence, RI 3rd edition) (1967).Google Scholar
- Tikhonov, A. N., Solutions of Incorrectly Formulated Problems and Regularization Method, Soviet Math. Dokl., 4(1963), 1035–1038.Google Scholar