Transfort of oxygen, nutrients and carbonates by the Kuroshio Current
- 77 Downloads
Measured concentrations of dissolved oxygen, phosphate, silicate, total alkalinity and calculated total CO2 in a section between 121° E and 125° E across the Kuroshio near 22° N off Taiwan and the geostrophic velocity were used to estimate the gross transport of oxygen, nutrients and carbonates.
The flux of dissolved oxygen is 6.7×106 mol/s northward and 0.9×106 mol/s southward. The net flux equals 5.8×106 mol/s down-stream. The northward flux of phosphate is 22.6×103 mol/s; the southward flux is 1.4×103 mol/s. The net phosphate flux is 21.2×103 mol/s northward. The flux of silicate is 967×103 northward and 59×103 mol/s southward; the net transport is 908×103 mol/s down-stream. The flux of alkalinity is 75.5×106 mol/s northward, and 10.8×106 mol/s southward, the net flux is 64.7×106 mol/s northward. For total CO2 the transport is 73.4×106 mol/s northward and 10.8×106 mol/s southward, or a net transport of 62.6×106 mol/s horthward.
Key wordstransport oxygen nutrient carbonates Kuroshio Current
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Brewer, P. G. and Dyrssen, D., 1987. Ocean chemical fluxes across 25°N in the Atlantic Ocean. Discussion paper prepared for the International GOFS meeting. Paris, 17–20, Feb. 1987, 25 pp.Google Scholar
- Chen, C. T., 1984. Carbonate chemistry of the Weddell Sea. Department of Energy Technical Report. DOE/EV/10611-4, 118 pp.Google Scholar
- Csanady, G. T., 1990. Physical basis of coastal productivity.EOS.71(36): 1060–1065.Google Scholar
- Liu, C. T., Liau, S. G., Pai, S. C. et al., 1986. Water masses in the Western Philippine Sea-physical aspects.Acta Oceanographica Taiwanica 17: 1–17.Google Scholar
- Liu, C. T., Pai, S. C., Liau, S. G. et al., 1987, Data report of CHIPS- 1, Institute of Oceanography. National Taiwan University, 118 pp.Google Scholar
- Nitani, H., 1972. Beginning of the Kuroshio.In: Kuroshio. University of Tokyo Press, Japan, pp. 129–163.Google Scholar
- Pai, S. C., Liu, C. J., Wen, L. S. et al., 1987. Primary investigation of the Western Philippine Sea water-chemical data from the CHIPS-1 expedition.Yearl Journal of the National Taiwan College of Marine Science and Technlogy 21: 49–68.Google Scholar
- Rintoul, S. R. and Wunsch, C., 1991. Mass, heat, oxygen and nutrient fluxes and budgets in the North Atlantic Ocean.Deep-Sea Research 38 (Suppl. 1): S355-S377.Google Scholar