A comparison of several indices for assessing body condition of Mongolian gazelle
- 78 Downloads
Riney kidney fat index (RKFI), whole kidney fat index (WKFI), femur marrow fat index (FMFI), and tibia marrow fat index (TMFI) of 51 Mongolian gazelles (Procapra gutturosa), collected in Hulunbeier grassland, Inner Mongolian, China, were measured during spring, autumn and winter in 1997–98. These different indexes were compared for using them in assessing the body condition. There was a linear relationship (y=0.9444x−20.139; r=0.9454; p<0.01) between RKFI and KMFI. A linear relationship (y=0.9348x+1.1843; r=0.9875; P<0.01) between TMFI and FMFI also occurred for gazelles. There was a curvilinear relationship (y=31.44Ln(x)−44.403; r=0.8643; P<0.01) between FMFI and RKFI. FMFI remained high, while RKFI decreased to a certain extent. After most of the kidney fat was used, the femur marrow fat abruptly decreased. The results showed that the kidney fat index is more adequate for evaluating the population nutrition in good condition, but marrow fat index was more useful for assessing in poorer nutritional condition.
Key wordsProcapra gutturosa fat indexes nutritional condition assessment
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Jiang Zhaowen, Xu Li and Zheng Hong. 1991. The comparative analyses on age identification indexes of Mongolian gazelle [J]. Chinese Wildlife,3: 25–28Google Scholar
- Mech, L.D. and Delgiudice, G.D. 1985. Limitations of the marrow-fat technique as an indicator of body condition [J]. Wildl. Soc. Bull.,13: 204–206.Google Scholar
- Ratcliffe, P.R. 1980. Bone marrow fat as an indicator of condition in roe deer [J]. Acta Theriol.,25: 333–340.Google Scholar
- Riney, T. 1955. Evaluating condition of free-ranging red deer (Cervus elaphus), with special reference to New Zealand [J]. New Zealand J. Sci. & Tech. Sect. B,36:429–463.Google Scholar
- Riney, T. 1982. Study and Management of Large Mammals [M]. New Zealand Sci. Press. WileyGoogle Scholar
- Robbins, C.T. 1983. Wildlife feeding and nutrition [M]. Acad. Press, New York, N. Y. 343pp.Google Scholar
- Sinclair, A.R.E. and Duncan, O. 1972. Indexes of condition in tropical ruminants [J]. J. E. Afr. Wildl.10:143–149Google Scholar