On smooth interpolation by continuously connected piecewise polynomials
- 36 Downloads
In this paper, a method is presented for interpolating to a given set of equally-spaced points a set of piecewise polynomials of degreen which agree in all derivatives throughn−1 at each of the points. Efficient computing algorithms and theorems, based on recursive difference equations and modern matrix techniques, are developed.
KeywordsSpline Function Spline Interpolation Mesh Point Polynomial Interpolation Interpolation Formula
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- D. T. Ross,General Description of the APT System, Servo-Mechanisms Laboratory, Mass. Inst. of Tech., vol. 1.Google Scholar
- T. N. E. Greville and I. J. Schoenberg,Smoothing by Generalized Spline Functions, SIAM National Meeting, New York, June 7, (1965).Google Scholar
- E. T. Whittaker and G. Robinson,The Calculus of Observations, London, Blackie and Son, 2nd Ed., (1937).Google Scholar
- Boris Podolsky,Curve Fitting With Allowance for Errors in Given Data, Technical Information Series No. R59 FPD 442, General Electric Company, Lockland, Ohio, July, (1959).Google Scholar
- J. F. Reilly,On Lidstone’s Demonstration of the Osculatory Interpolation Formula, The Record of the American Institute of Actuar., vol. XIV, Part. 1, Number 29, pp. 12–20, June, (1925).Google Scholar
- W. A. Jenkins,Osculatory Interpolation: New Derivation and Formulae, Record of the American Institute of Actuaries 15, pp. 87, (1926).Google Scholar
- I. J. Schoenberg,Spline Interpolation and the Higher Derivatives, Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. U.S.A., pp. 24–28, (1964).Google Scholar
- C. Lanczos,Applied Analysis, Englewood Cliffs, Prentice Hall, Inc., p. 235, (1956).Google Scholar
- J. F. Price and R. H. Simonson,Various Methods and Computer Routines for Approximations, Curve Fittings, and Interpolation, Boeing Scientific Research Laboratories Document D1-82-0151, pp. 12–16, February, (1962).Google Scholar
- A. F. Cornock,The Numerical Solution of Poisson’s and the Bi-Harmonic Equations by Matrices, Proc. Cambridge Phil. Soc., vol. 50, (1954).Google Scholar