On the sources of the Taiwan Warm Current from the South China Sea
- 75 Downloads
Historical hydrographic data across several sections in the South China Sea (SCS) and Taiwan Strait have been reconsidered. The year-around existence of the South China Sea Warm Current (SCSWC) along the shelf break off the Guangdong coast and the seemingly year-around southwestward current to the east of SCSWC are both evident in the data. The data also showed that the northward current in the Taiwan Strait seemed to be the extension of SCSWC.
A barotropic numerical model is employed to explain some of the observed features. Reasonable simulation of the circulation in the northeast part of SCS has been found.
KeywordsWarm Current Shelf Break Submarine Canyon Cyclonic Gyre Temperature Section
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chou, D.Z., T.H. Yang and Z.X. Guo, 1984. A west-flowing current in the northern part of the South China Sea in summer.Tropic Oceanology. 3(4): 64–73. (in Chinese with English abstract)Google Scholar
- Chu, T.Y., 1972. A study on the water exchange between the Pacific Ocean and the South China Sea.Acta Oceanologica Taiwanica. 2: 11–24.Google Scholar
- Chuang, W.S., 1986. The branching of Kuroshio into Taiwan Strait.EOS. 67: 1063.Google Scholar
- Guan, B.X., 1978. The warm current in the South China Sea—a current flowing against the wind in winter in the open sea off Guangdong Province.Oceanologia et Limnologia Sinica. 9(2): 117–127. (in Chinese with English abstract)Google Scholar
- Guan, B.X., 1984. Major Features of the Shallow Water Hydrography in the East China Sea and Yellow Sea.In: Ocean Hydrodynamics of the Japan and East China Seas. Elsevier, pp. 1–13.Google Scholar
- Guo, Z. X., T.H. Yang and D.Z. Chou, 1985. The South China Sea Warm Current and the SW-ward current on its right side in winter.Tropic Oceanology. 4(1): 1–9 (in Chinese with English abstract)Google Scholar
- Inoue, N., 1975. Bottom current on the continental shelf of the East China Sea.Marine Sciences/Monthly. 7: 12–18. (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- Tseng, W. Y., 1972. The Zooplankton Community in the Surface Waters of Taiwan Strait.In: Kuroshio II. Saikou Publishing Co., pp. 261–271.Google Scholar
- Yu, H. H., D. C. Zheng and J. Z. Jiang, 1983. Basic Hydrographic Characteristics of the Study Area.In: Proc. Int. Symp. Sedimentation on the Continental Shelf, With Special Reference to the East china Sea. China Ocean Press. pp. 270–279.Google Scholar