Tetraploid induction by inhibiting mitosis I in scallopChlamys farreri
Tetraploid induction was carried out by inhibiting mitosis I in fertilized eggs ofChlamys farreri. Mitosis I was blocked with cold shock (5–7°C), Cytochalasin B (0.75 mg/L) and 6-dimethylaminopurine (6-DMAP) (60–75 mg/L) when 60% fertilized eggs released polar body II at 20°C. At 4-cells embryo stage, the ploidy was determined by counting chromosome number. In control groups, most embryos were diploids (72.22%) and aneuploids (24.78%). In Cytochalasin B, cold shock and 6-DMAP treated groups, tetraploids were respectively 10.51%, 4.08%, and 13.34%; aneuploids were 43.10%, 35.93% and 29.16%, and triploids were 7.84%, 8.52% and 18.33%. At D-larva stage, ploidy was determined by flow cytometry (FCM). The ploidy analysis of day 2 larvae showed diploids in control group and also in three treated groups. Juvenile scallops (0.2–0.3cm) which were harvested in two control groups and two CB treated groups were all diploids through checking ploidy individually by FCM.
Key wordsscallopChalamys farreri tetraploid Cytochalasin B mitosis I
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Allen, S. K., Jr., Downing, S. L., Chew, K. K., 1989. Hatchery Manual for Producing Triploid Oyster. University of Washington Press, Seattle. 27 p.Google Scholar
- Cai, G., Beaumont, A. R., 1996. The tetraploid induction of blue mussel,Mytilus edulis, with 6-dimethylamonipurine (6-DMAP).Tropic Ocean 15(4): 26–30. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Gerrard, A., Naciri, Y., Peignon, J. M. et al., 1994. Optimization of triploid induction by the use of 6-DMAP for the oyster, Crassostrea gigas.Aquacult. Fish Manage. 125(7): 709–719.Google Scholar
- Guo, X., Allen, S. K. Jr., 1994. Viable tetraploids in the Pacific oyster,Crassostrea gigas (Thunberg), produced by inhibiting polar body I in eggs from triploids.Mol. Mar. Biol. Biotechnol. 3(1): 42–50.Google Scholar
- Guo, X., Hershberger, W. K., Cooper, K. et al., 1994. Tetraploid induction with mitosis I inhibition and cell fusion in the Pacific oysterCrassostrea gigas Thunberg.J. Shellfish Research 13(1): 193–198.Google Scholar
- Komaru, A., Wada, K. T., 1989. Gametogenesis and growth of induced triploid scallops,Chlamys nobilis.Bull. Jap. Soc. of Scientific Fisheries 59(12): 2017–2023.Google Scholar
- Wang, M., Zheng, J., Yu, H., 1990. The analysis of Karyotype in Chinese scallop,Chlamys farreri.J. Ocean Univ. of Qingdao 20(1): 81–85. (in Chinese)Google Scholar