Seasonal and diurnal variability of thermal structure in the coastal waters off Visakhapatnam
- 15 Downloads
Seasonal and diurnal variability of thermal structure in the coastal waters off Visakhapatnam has been examined in relation to the flow field and surface winds utilizing the hourly data of temperature and currents taken at a fixed location over a tidal cycle at monthly intervals. The coastal currents in the pre-monsoon period and strong near-surface winter cooling processes affect the thermal structure of the coastal sea. Upwelling which is predominant during March to May with an intermittent relaxing event helps in the development of a strong layered thermal structure while convective mixing due to winter inversions during November to February causes weak thermal gradients in the water column.
KeywordsThermal structure upwelling sinking coastal currents Visakhapatnam coast
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- La Fond E C 1954 On upwelling and sinking off the east coast of IndiaAndhra Univ. Mem. Oceanogr. 1 117–121Google Scholar
- La Fond E C and Moore A T 1972 Sea temperature variations off the east coast of IndiaIndian J. Mar. Sci. 1 63–65Google Scholar
- La Fond E C and Rao C P 1954 Vertical oscillations of tidal periods in the temperature structure of the seaAndhra Univ. Mem. Oceanogr. 1 109–116Google Scholar
- Murthy C B and Sastry A A R 1957 Distribution of density and the associated currents at the sea surface in the Bay of BengalIndian J. Meteor. Geophys. 8 88–92Google Scholar
- Murthy C S and Varadachari V V R 1968 Upwelling along the east coast of IndiaBull. Natl. Inst. Sci. India 38 80–86Google Scholar
- Ramanatham R, Murthy A V S, Varadarajulu R and Reddy B S R 1967 Coastal currents near Waltair by double theodolite methodJ. Indian Geophys. Union 4 107–112Google Scholar
- Rao C P 1956 Ocean currents off VisakhapatnamIndian J. Meteor. Geophys. 7 377–379Google Scholar
- Rao T V N, Rao D P, Rao B P and Ramaraju V S 1986 Upwelling and sinking along Visakhapatnam coastIndian J. Mar. Sci. 15 84–87Google Scholar
- Shetye S R 1984 Seasonal variability of the temperature field off the south-west coast of IndiaProc. Indian Acad. Sci. (Earth Planet. Sci.) 93 399–411Google Scholar
- Varadachari V V R 1958On some meteorological and oceanographie studies of the coastal waters off Waltair in relation to upwelling and sinking DSc thesis, Andhra University, WaltairGoogle Scholar