Wave height estimation from SAR imagery
- 105 Downloads
This paper presents a method developed for estimating wave height from synthetic aperture radar (SAR) imagery with-out prior assumption of noise distribution. It is based on two-dimensional ocean wave spectra retrieved from fully calibrated SAR images. Wen’s spectrum was used as first-guess wave spectrum in the retrieval process. Comparison of the estimated wave height obtained by this method from two ERS-1 SAR subimages dated 23 July 1994 with in-situ measurements showed that the method works well.
Key wordssynthetic aperture radar (SAR) wave height
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bao, M. Q., C. B. Zhou, W. G. Huang, 1996. Transform of wave spectra to SAR image spectra and its application.In: Guo, H. D., G. H. Xu eds, Spaceborne SAR Applications. China Science and Technology Press, Beijing, China, p. 50–57. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Bruning, C., 1993. On the relative importance of the ocean wave radar modulation transder functioin for Inverting ERS-1 SAR image spectra into ocean wave spectra. Proceedings of Second ERS-i Symposium—Space at the Service of Our Enivironment, Hamburg, Germany, 11–14, October, 1993, ESA SP-361 (January 1994), p. 233–238.Google Scholar
- Bruning, C., S. Hasselmann, K. Hasselmann et al., 1994. First evaluation of ERS-1 synthetic aperture radar wave mode data.Global Atmosphere and Ocean Systems 2: 61–98.Google Scholar
- Laur, H., P. Bally, P. Meadows, J. Sanchez et al., 1998. Derivation of the backseattering coefficient in ESA ERS SAR PRI products. ES-TN-RS-PM-HL09, Issue 2, Rev. 5b, 7th September, 1998.Google Scholar
- Yang, J. S., W. G. Huang, C. B. Zhou, 1998. Simulation of SAR image spectrum with Wen’s wave spectrum. Proceedings of The 4th Pacific Ocean Remote Sensing Conference, Qingdao, China, July 28–31, 1998, 480–483.Google Scholar
- Yang, J. S., W. G. Huang, C. B. Zhou, 1999. Simulation of spaceborne SAR image spectrum.Donghai Marine Science 17(4): 39–46. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Yang, J. S., 2001. Synthetic aperture radar remote sensing of ocean surface wind fields, ocean waves and ocean internal waves. PhD dissertation, Ocean University of Qingdao, June, 2001. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Zhou, C. B., W. G. Huang, J. L. Zhang, et al., 1996. Ocean wave extraction from SAR and its application.In: Guo, H. D., G. H. Xu eds, Spaceborne SAR Applications. China Science and Technology Press, Beijing, China, p. 161–171. (in Chinese)Google Scholar