Computation of synthetic seismograms for plane layered earth models including absorption and dispersion phenomena
A computer program package has been written in FORTRAN-IV language and tested successfully on an ICL 1904S computer. This program enables one to compute synthetic seismograms for layered earth models. The provision for studying the effect of absorption and dispersion of seismic waves has been made with Subroutines. The present program utilizes eight Subroutines and requires about 35 K core memory. A set of examples are illustrated for absorption and dispersion models. An exponential decay of amplitude has been used for the absorption model. This method is based on the plane wave propagation in a flat-layered earth system. Normal incident P-waves are used to eliminate the effect of other phases. Change in shape of reflected waves is observed in absorption model due to damping of energy of higher frequencies. Lack of resolution is found between closely spaced reflections at higher frequencies. The effect of dispersion on seismic waves decreases the time of primary reflections as well as amplitudes of the seismic waves.
KeywordsSynthetic seismograms computer programs absorption dispersion
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Biot M A 1962bJ. Accoust. Soc. Am. 34 1256Google Scholar
- Bouchon M and Aki K 1977Bull. Seism. Soc. Am. 67 259Google Scholar
- Burridge R and Vargas C A 1979Geophys. J. R. Astron. Soc. 58 61Google Scholar
- Deresiewicz H 1974Bull. Seismol. Soc. Am. 64 1901Google Scholar
- Deresiewicz H and Levy A 1967Bull. Seismol. Soc. Am. 57 381Google Scholar
- Deresiewicz H and Rice J T 1962Bull. Seismol. Soc. Am. 52 595Google Scholar
- Deresiewicz H and Rice J T 1964Bull. Seismol. Soc. Am. 54 409Google Scholar
- Fuchs K 1968J. Phys. Earth 16 27Google Scholar
- Fuchs K and Muller G 1971Geophys. J. R. Astron. Soc. 28 417Google Scholar
- Kennet B L N 1980Geophys. J. R. Astron. Soc. 61 1Google Scholar
- Kennet B L N and Illingworth M R 1981Geophys. J. R. Astron. Soc. 66 633Google Scholar
- Kennet B L N and Kerry N J 1979Geophys. J. R. Astron. Soc. 57 557Google Scholar