Improved production of spiramycin by mutantStreptomyces ambofaciens
- 86 Downloads
Strain improvement and medium optimization to increase the productivity of spiramycin were carried out. Of oil tolerant mutant strains screened, one mutant,Streptomyces ambofaciens XC 2–37, produced 9% more spiramycin than the parent strainS. ambofaciens XC 1–29. The effects of soybean oil and propyl alcohol on spiramycin production withS. ambofaciens XC 2–37 were studied. The potency ofS. ambofaciens XC 2–37 was improved by 61.8% with addition of 2% soybean oil in the fermentation medium and 0.4% propyl alcohol at 24 hours after incubation. The suitable time for feeding propyl alcohol is at 24 hours after incubation in flask fermentation and at 20 hours after incubation in fermentor fermentation. The new process withS. ambofaciens XC 2–37 was scaled up for industrial scale production of spiramycin in a 60 m3 fermentor in Xinchang Pharmaceutical Factory, Zhejiang Medicine Company, Ltd., China, and the potency and productivity of fermentation were improved by 42.9%.
Key wordsSpiramycin Streptomyces ambofaciens Strain improvement Fermentation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chen, J.M., Xu, L.T., 1991. Analysis of Antibiotics Industry. Chinese Press of Pharmaceutical Science, Beijing, p.126–134 (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Gao, K.N., 1989. Fermentation Engineering and Equipment. Press of Light Industry, Beijing, p.154–230 (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Jin, Z.H., Song, Y.L., Huang, C.N., 1992. Genetic selection of spiramycin-producing strainStreptomyces ambofaciens.Chinese J Antibiot,17(4):265–270 (in Chinese with English abstract).Google Scholar
- Jin, Z.H., 1995. Rational selection of spiramycin-producing strain.Chinese J Biotechnol,11(3):295–296 (in Chinese with English abstract).Google Scholar
- Li, Y.R., Song, J.Y., Huang, L.Y., Dong, S.P., 1988. Biosynthesis of spiramycin III Effect of dissolved oxygen on spiramycin fermentation.J East China Institute Chem Technol,14:650–657 (in Chinese with English abstract).Google Scholar
- Li, Y.R., Liu, C.H., Chen, K.M., Chen, K.M., Xie, X.Z., Jin Q.P., Ma, T.L., 1990. Biosynthesis of spiramycin IV Correlation between ATP content and spiramycin biosynthesis.J Chinese Antibiot,15:83–86 (in Chinese with English abstract).Google Scholar
- Li, Y.Y., Chen, C.H., 2002. Metabolic flux analysis of spiramycin biosynthesis.J Chinese Antibiot,27:101–103 (in Chinese with English abstract).Google Scholar
- Omura, S., Ikeda, H., Kitao, C., 1979. Isolation and properties of spiramycin I 3-hydroxyl acylase fromStreptomyces ambofaciens.J Biochem,86:1753–1758.Google Scholar
- Zhang, G.J., Jin, Z.H., 1993. Fermentation of spiramycin byStreptomyces spiramyceticus.Chinese J Pharm,24: 337–339 (in Chinese with English abstract).Google Scholar