Effect of pozzolanic reaction products on alkali-silica reaction
- 111 Downloads
The effect of fly ash on controlling alkali-silica reaction (ASR) in simulated alkali solution was studied. The expansion of mortar bars and the content of Ca (OH)2 in cement paste cured at 80°C for 91 d were measured. Transmission electron microscopy (TEM) and high-resolution transmission electron microscopy (HRTEM) were employed to study the microstructure of C-S-H. TEM/energy dispersive spectroscopy (EDS) was then used to determine the composition of C-S-H. The pore structure of the paste was analyzed by mercury intrusion porosimetry (MIP). The results show that the contents of fly ash of 30% and 45% can well inhibit ASR. And the content of Ca(OH)2 decreases with the increase of fly ash. That fly ash reacted with Ca(OH)2 to produce C-S-H with a low Ca/Si molar ratio could bind more Na+ and K+ ions, and produce a reduction in the amount of soluble alkali available for ASR. At the same time, the C-S-H produced by pozzolanic reaction converted large pores to smaller ones (gel pores smaller than 10 nm) to densify the pore structure. Perhaps that could inhibit alkali transport to aggregate for ASR.
Key wordsalkali Ca/Si molar ratio C-S-H alkali-silica reaction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- M A BéRUBé, B FOURNIER, B DURANDProceedings of 11 International Conference on AAR in Concrete[C]. Québec City, Canada: [s.n.], 2000, III–IVGoogle Scholar
- M H Shehata. The Effects of Fly Ash and Silica Fume on Alkali Silica Reaction in Concrete [D]. Toronto: University of Toronto, 2001Google Scholar
- D W HOBBS.Alkali Silica Reaction in Concrete[M]. London: Thomas Telford, 1988: 183Google Scholar
- M S Y Bhatty, N R Greening. Interaction of Alkalies with Hydrating and Hydrated Calcium Silicates[C].Proc 4th International Conference on the Effects of Alkalies in Cement and Concrete, Purdue, 1978.Google Scholar
- M S Tang. Several Theoretical Question About Alkali-aggragate Reaction[J].Journal of the Chines Ceramia Society, 1990, 18: 365–373Google Scholar
- Ch X Qian. Expert System of Preventing Alkali-aggregate Reaction of Concrete Project and the Mechanism of Supplementing Materials on Alkali-silica Reaction [D]. Nanjing: Nanjing Institute of Thechnology, 1991Google Scholar
- Standard of China Construction Standardizaton Association, CECS48:93.A Rapid Test Method for Determining the Alkali Reactivity of Sands and Rocks [S]. Beijing: China Standardization Association, 1995Google Scholar
- Z Y Yang. The Effectiveness of Silica Fume on ASR [J].Engineering of Water and Electricity, 2000, 16 (2): 105–112Google Scholar