Excited-state dipole moments from absorption and fluorescence solvatochromic shifts — a better approach
Suppan (1983Chemical Physics Letters 94 270) has proposed an equation to estimate the excited state electric dipole moment from absorption and fluorescence solvatochromic shifts and applied it to the first excited stateL(b) of aniline. A better approach to this problem is proposed here, which avoids the assumption in respect of μe making an angle with Δμ eg = μ e − μ g ; μ g being ground state electric dipole moment. This approach is expected to give a better estimation of the electric dipole moment of a molecule when it is electronically excited. On testing this approach for aniline in its first excited state μ e turns out to be 5.31 D.
KeywordsSolvatochromic shifts excited-state electric dipole moment aniline
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ayachit N H, Deshpande D K, Shashidhar M A and Suryanarayana Rao K. 1986aSpectrochim. Acta A42 585Google Scholar
- Ayachit N H, Deshpande D K, Shashidhar M A and Suryanarayana Rao K 1986bSpectrochim. Acta A42 1405Google Scholar
- Bilot L and Kawaski A 1962Naturforschung 17 621Google Scholar
- Keulek B 1978Collect. Czech. Chem. Commun. 43 2368Google Scholar
- Lippert E 1939Electrochemistry 61 962Google Scholar
- Liptay L 1965Naturforschung 20 272Google Scholar
- Suppan P 1968aJ. Chem. Soc. A 3125Google Scholar
- Suppan P 1968bSpectrochim. Acta A24 1161Google Scholar