A comparison of the RCM and ISC3 dispersion models against the Alaska data set
- 43 Downloads
The USEPA (U. S. Environmental Protection Agency) approved ISC3 for short-range dispersion modeling. The regulatory model of China is a traditional Gaussian plume model similar to ISC. This paper demonstrates the advantages of ISC3 over the regulatory model of China by comparing their predicted ground level concentrations ( GLC ) along downwind distance to the Alaska tracer field data. The field experiment features buoyant release of effluent at elevated height over a flat terrain and local flows influenced by building downwash. ISC3 shows much better space-time correlation and probability distribution than the China regulatory model, which frequently underestimates the GLC for effluent released with significant plume rise under stable atmospheric conditions. The performance of ISC3 is greatly enhanced by incorporating the state-of-the-art knowledge of boundary layer meteorology. In particular, ISC3 employs the PRIME model for building downwash.
Key wordsISC3 China regulatory model (CRM) GLC
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ningbo Environmental Science Academy (1996)User Guidelines for Environmental Impact Assessment Assistant (EIAA) [S]. Ver 2.5.Google Scholar
- Schulman L. L., Strimaitis D. G., and Scire J. S. (1997)Addendum to ISCi User ’ s Guide, the PRIME Plume Rise and Building Downwash Model [M]. Electric Power Research Institute.Google Scholar
- Schulman L. L., Strimaitis D. G., and Scire J. S. (1998) Development and evaluation of the PRIME plume rise and building downwash model [J].Journal of Air and Waste Management Association.50, 378–390.Google Scholar
- SEPA (1993)Technical Guidelines for Environmental Impact Assessment of P.R. China—Air Environment, HJ/T 2.2-9 [S]. State Environmental Protection Administration (SEPA) [S]. Publication of China Environmental Science.Google Scholar
- USEPA (1995a)User’s Guide for the Industrial Source Complex (ISC3) Dispersion Models, Volume I —User Instructions [Z]. USEPA, Research Triangle Park, N. C.Google Scholar
- USEPA (1995b)User’s Guide for the Industrial Source Complex (ISC3) Dispersion Models, Volume II —Descriptionof Model Algorithms[Z]. USEPA, Research Triangle Park, N. C.Google Scholar
- USEPA (2002)User ’ s Guide for the AMS/EPA Regulatory Model-AERMOD [Z]. USEPA, Research Triangle Park, N. C.Google Scholar
- USEPA (2004)Evaluation Database for ISC3 [Z]. USEPA, Research Triangle Park, N. C. URL: http://www. epa. gov/scram001/tt26. htm#evaluationdatabasesGoogle Scholar