Distribution of particulate organic carbon in the central Bay of Bengal
- 31 Downloads
Particulate organic carbon (POC) was measured for 77 water samples collected over a 3000 m water column along 88° E in the central Bay of Bengal. The POC values varied from 80 to 895 μg per litre at the surface and 171 to 261 μg per litre at 2000 m. The POC decreased with increasing water depth at all the stations. Deep water concentrations of POC were higher than those reported from other oceanic waters. Distribution of POC was not influenced by water masses. The POC was not significantly correlated with chlorophylla.
KeywordsParticulate organic carbon Bay of Bengal chlorophylla.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bhattathiri P M A, Devassy V P and Radhakrishna K 1980 Primary production in the Bay of Bengal during southwest monsoon of 1978;Mahasagar-Bull. Natl. Inst. Oceanogr. 13 315–323Google Scholar
- Gordon D C 1977 Variability of paniculate organic carbon and nitrogen along the Halifax-Bermuda section;Deep Sea Res. 24 257–270Google Scholar
- Mamayev O I 1975Temperature salinity analysis of world ocean waters (Amsterdam: Elsevier) pp. 369Google Scholar
- Menzel D W 1974 inThe sea (ed.) E D Goldberg (New York: Interscience) pp. 659Google Scholar
- Parsons T R, Matai Y and Lalli C M 1984A manual of chemical and biological methods of seawater analysis (Oxford: Pergamon) pp. 63–104Google Scholar
- Qasim S Z 1977 Biological productivity of the Indian Ocean;Indian J. Mar. Sci. 6 122–137Google Scholar
- Radhakrishna K 1978 Primary productivity of the Bay of Bengal during March–April 1975;Indian J. Mar. Sci. 7 58–60Google Scholar
- Radhakrishna K, Bhattathiri P M A and Devassy V P 1978 Primary productivity of the Bay of Bengal during August-September 1976;Indian J. Mar. Sci. 7 94–98Google Scholar
- Rao C H M 1985 Distribution of suspended paniculate matter in the waters of eastern continental margin of India;Indian J. Mar. Sci. 14 15–19Google Scholar
- Wangersky P J 1976 Particulate organic carbon in the Atlantic and Pacific oceans;Deep Sea Res. 23 457–465Google Scholar