Relationship between all-India summer monsoon rainfall and southern oscillation/eastern equatorial Pacific sea surface temperature
- 46 Downloads
The interannual variability of all-India summer monsoon (June to September) rainfall and its teleconnections with the southern oscillation index (SOI) and sea surface temperature (SST) anomaly of the eastern equatorial Pacific ocean have been examined for the period 1871–1978 for different seasons (i.e., winter, spring, summer and autumn). The relationship (correlation coefficient) between all-India summer monsoon rainfall andSOI for different seasons is positive and highly significant. Further examination of 10-, 20- and 30-year sliding window lengths’ correlations, brings out the highly consistent and significant character of the relationships. The relationship between all-India monsoon rainfall andSST for different seasons is negative and is significant at 1 % level or above. Drought years are characterised by negative anomalies ofSOI and positive anomalies ofSST and vice versa with flood years. The relationship betweenSOI andSST is negative and significant at 0.1 % level.
The relationships between all-India summer monsoon rainfall,SOI and sst are expected to improve our understanding of the interannual variability of the summer monsoon.
KeywordsAll-India rainfall southern oscillation Pacific sea surface temperature sliding correlation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Anjaneyulu T S S 1981Mausam 31 551Google Scholar
- Bell G J 1977Weather 32 26Google Scholar
- Fleer H 1981Bonn. Meteorol. Abh. 26 114Google Scholar
- Joseph P V 1981Mausam 32 237Google Scholar
- Mooley D A and Parthasarathy B 1983aVariations of the global water budget. (eds.) A S Perrot, M Baran and R Ratchiffe (Dordrecht: D Riedel) 239–252Google Scholar
- Parthasarathy B 1984Proc. Indian Acad. Sci. (Earth Planet. Sci.) 93 371Google Scholar
- Parthasarathy B and Pant G B 1984Tellus A36 269Google Scholar
- Parthasarathy B and Pant G B 1985J. Climatol. 5 (in press)Google Scholar
- Pisharoty P R 1981Monsoon dynamics (eds.) J Lighthills and R P Pearce (London: Cambridge University Press) pp. 238–251Google Scholar
- Quenouille M H 1952Associated measurements (London: Butterworths) p. 242Google Scholar
- Ramesh Babu V, Rao L V G and Varadachari V V R 1981Monsoon dynamics (eds.) J Lighthills and R P Pearce (London: Cambridge University Press) p. 481Google Scholar
- Sikka D R 1980Proc. Indian Acad. Sci. (Earth Planet. Sci.) 89 639Google Scholar
- Walker G T 1923Mem. India Meteorol. Dept. 24 75Google Scholar
- Walker G T 1924Mem. India Meteorol Dept. 24 275Google Scholar
- Walker G T and Bliss E W 1932Mem. R. Meteorol. Soc. 4 53Google Scholar
- Walker G T and Bliss E W 1937Mem. R. Meteorol. Soc. 4 119Google Scholar
- Wright P B 1975 An index of the Southern Oscillation, Climatic Research Unit, University of East Anglia, Norwich, England, Report No.CRU RP4, 20 pp.Google Scholar