Microstructures and mechanism of Al2O3/Al composites fabricated by the reaction between SiO2 and molten aluminum
- 43 Downloads
Al2 O3/Al composite was fabricated by the reaction between SiO2 and molten aluminum. The microstructures of the composite obtained under different reaction conditions were analyzed. The formation mechanism of the composite microstructure was discussed. Results show that the reaction kinetics is influenced remarkably by the reaction temperature, reaction time and the quantity of SiO2. The morphologies of Al2O3 have different features, depending on the reaction temperature. The composite has equaxed Al2O3 grains when materials reacted below 1200°C, and the composite is composed of a large number of fine Al2O3 grains and aluninum. The composite has a frame-shaped Al2O3 microstructure at the reaction temperature of above 1250°C.
Key wordsAl2O3/Al composite in-situ reaction vitreous silica microstructure
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Noboru Y, Atsushi K, Shoji T. Microstructures of Al/Al2O3 Composite Bodies Obtained by Reaction between SiO2 and Molten Al at Temperatures Ranging from 1073 to 1473 K.Materials Transactions, JIM, 2000, 41(3): 399–405Google Scholar
- 2.Lloyd D. Particle Reinforced Aluminum Magnesium Composites.International Materials Reviews, 1994, 39(1): 1–22Google Scholar
- 3.William C, Harrigan J. Commercial Processing of Metal Matrix Composites,Materials Science and Engineering, 1998, A244:75Google Scholar
- 4.Ouyang L Z, Luo C, Sui X D,et al. In-situ Fabricating of Aluminum Matrix Composites Reinforced by Al2O3.The Chinese Journal of Nonferrous Metals, 2000, 10(2): 159–162Google Scholar
- 5.Zhou S Q, Cheng X M, Shen Y L. Affection of Process Parameters on the Structure and Properties of Al2O3/Al Composite.Chinese Journal of Materials Research, 1995, 9(5): 473–476Google Scholar
- 6.Yan H G, Chen Z H, Huang P Y. Advance in Fabrication of Reaction Synthesizedin-situ Composites.Materials Science & Engineering, 1997, 15(1): 6–9Google Scholar
- 7.Zhong T X, Ji Y, Li Y,et al. In-situ Al2O3/Al Composites by S-L Reaction,Casting, 1997, 12:11–13Google Scholar
- 8.Lin C C, Zhang D, Hu K A,et al. Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of Waste Glass/Aluminum Metal Matrix Composites.The Chinese Journal of Nonferrous Metals, 2001, 11 (6): 1045–1050Google Scholar