Defects of polymer-derived Si−C−O fibers and their originations
- 39 Downloads
Defects of polymer-derived Si−C−O fibers were intensively studied by the SEM and TEM techniques and their originations were also discussed on the basis of factors experiments. The defects were found mainly in the form of strumaes, pits and splits on surfaces as well as microflaw networks, porosity clusters and inclusions in the bulk. Factors experiments reveal that a nonuniform or an insufficient curing would result in larger-sized strumaes or interior microflaws. Gas evolution rates due to different firing rates have a great influence on the formation of internal microflaws or porosity clusters and some oxidation-induced pits or splits may be formed on surfaces because of a trace of oxygen or water vapor accumulated from the flowing inert atmosphere during pyrolysis.
Key wordsdefects Si−C−O fiber polymer-derived ceramic
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Sawyer L C, Arons R, Haimbach F,et al. Characterization of Ni-calonTM: Strength, Structure and Fractography.Ceramic Engineering and Science Proceedings, 1985, 6(7): 567Google Scholar
- 3.Clark T J, Jaffe M, Rabe J,et al. Thermal Stability Characterization of SiC Fibers: I, Mechanical Property and Chemical Structure Effects.Ceramic Engineering and Science Proceedings, 1986, 7 (7–8): 901Google Scholar
- 4.Sawyer L C, Chen R T, Haimabch F,et al. Thermal Stability Characterization of SiC Fibers: II, Fractography and Structure.Ceramic Engineering and Science Proceedings, 1986, 7(7–8): 914Google Scholar
- 6.Chu Z Y, Feng C X, Song Y C,et al. Correlations between Flaw types and Flaw Sizes and the Average Tensile Strength of Polymer-derived SiC Fibers.Journal of Iron and Steel Research International, 2002, special issue: 247Google Scholar
- 9.Chu Z Y, Feng C X, Song Y C,et al. Effect of Oxygen Content on the Tensile Strength of Polymer-derived SiC Fibers.Transactions of Nonferrous Metals Society of China, 2002, 12(5): 894Google Scholar
- 10.Chu Z Y, Feng C X, Song Y C,et al. Influence of Water-vaporcontaining Atmosphere on the Pyrolysis of Polymer-derived SiC Fibers. In: Krenkel W, Naslain R, Schneider H, Eds.High Temperature Ceramic Matrix Composites. Weinheim, Germany: 2001, 41Google Scholar