Fabrication and mechanical properties of TiC/TiAl composites
- 67 Downloads
TiC/TiAl composites with different TiC content were fabricated by rapid heating technique of spark plasma sintering (SPS). The effect of TiC particles on microstructure and mechanical properties of TiAl matrix was investigated. The results indicate that grain sizes of TiAl matrix decrease and mechanical properties are improved because of the addition of TiC particles. The composites display a 26.8% increase in bending strength when 10wt% TiC is added and 43.8% improvement in fracture toughness when 5wt% TiC is added compared to values of TiC-free materials. Grain-refinement and dispersion-strengthening were the main strengthening mechanism. The improvement of fracture toughness was due to the deflexion of TiC particles to the crack.
Key wordsTiC/TiAl composites mechanical properties SPS sintering technique
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Y W Kim. Ordered Intermetallic Alloys, Part III: Gamma Titanium Aluminides.JOM, 1994, 7:30–39Google Scholar
- 4.M Nobuki, K Hashimoto, K Tsujimoto, et al. Deformation of TiAl Intermetallic Compound at Elevated Temperatures.J Japan Inst. Met., 1986, 50(9):840–844Google Scholar
- 5.Wang Wei-min, Fu Zheng-yi, Wang Hao, Yuan Run-zhang. Combustion Synthesis and Densification of NiAl/TiB2 Composites.Journal of Wuhan University of Technology-Mater. Sci. Ed. 2002, 17(1):4Google Scholar
- 7.K S Kumar, J D Whittenberger, Discontinuously Reinforced Intermetallic Matrix Composites via XD Synthesis (exothermal dispersion).Mater. Sci. Technol., 1992, 8:317Google Scholar
- 11.Mao xiaonan.Study of Interfacial Stability and Mechanical Properties of Particles Reinforced Ti Matrix Composite. Shenyang; Northeastern University, 1999Google Scholar