Aerodynamic noise from wave-turbulence interaction
- 17 Downloads
In order to estimate the acoustic energy scattered when a unit volume of free turbulence, such as in free jets, interacts with a plane steady sound wave, theoretical expressions are derived for two simple models of turbulence: eddy model and isotropic model. The effect of convection by mean motion of the energy-bearing eddies on the incident sound wave and on the sound generated from wave-turbulence interaction is taken into account. Finally, by means of a representative calculation, the directionality pattern and Mach number dependence of the noise so generated is discussed.
KeywordsAeroacoustics aerodynamic noise wave-turbulence interaction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ffowcs Williams J E 1963Philos. Trans. R. Soc. London A255 469Google Scholar
- Goldstein M E 1974 Aero-acoustics NASA SP-346 112Google Scholar
- Lilley G M, Morris P J and Tester B J 1973 AIAA Paper No 73-987Google Scholar
- Munjal M L and Chandraker A L 1975 Seminar on Propulsion, GTRE (India)Google Scholar
- Ribner H S 1964Adv. Appl. Mech. 8 103Google Scholar