Effects of arsenic trioxide on human renal cell carcinoma lines in vitro
- 53 Downloads
Objective: To observe the effects of arsenic trioxide (As2O3) on human renal cell carcinoma (RCC) lines in vitro and to explore its possible molecular mechanisms.Methods: The microculture tetrazolium (MTT) assay was used to determine the anti-proliterative effects of As2O3 on human RCC lines. Flow cytometry was performed to investigate the effects of As2O3 on cell cycle and cell apoptosis. The reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) was conducted to detect mRNA expression of Bcl-2, Bax, p53 and c-myc.Results: As2O3 inhibited the growth of RCC lines in vitro in a concentration-dependent manner. At the concentrations of 0.5, 1.0, 2.0 and 4. 0 μmol/L, the inhibition rates of As2O3 on RCC-WCS cells were 27.60%, 30.09%, 41.03% and 50.77%, respectively. Compared with untreated RCC-WCS, there was significant difference at each concentration (P<0.01). As2O3 induced a G1 phase arrest in RCC-LSL cells, but a G2/M phase arrest in RCC-WCS and RCC-SHK. As2O3 induced cell apoptosis in these cell lines. The mRNA level of p53 and c-myc decreased, but no detectable changes of Bcl-2 and Bax were observed after As2O3 treatmen.Conclusion: As2O3 in therapeutic concentrations inhibited the in vitro growth of RCC lines via cell cycle arrest and apoptosis. One of its possible mechanisms was down-regulation of p53 and c-myc. Our results suggest that As2O3 is probably a new candidate agent for the treatment of human renal carcinoma.
Key Wordsrenal cell carcinoma arsenic trioxide apoptosis cell cycle arrest
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Wan YX, Ma JH, Chen YX, et al. Establishment and biological characteristics of six human renal carcinoma cell lines. Chin J Urol 2002;23(9): 521–523.Google Scholar
- 5.Shi YH, Tan LJ, Li H, et al. Study on arsenic trioxide induced apoptosis in tumor cell lines of digestive tract. Acta Univ Med Sec Shanghai 1999;19: 242–244.Google Scholar
- 11.Xiao DM, Sun GL, Su H et al. Effects of As2O3 on the BCR/ABL protein tyrosine phosphorylation in K562 Cell. Chin J Hematol 1999;20(12): 637–639.Google Scholar
- 14.Lin C, Deng YP, Zheng J et al. Arsenic trioxide induces human tumor cell apoptosis and G2 + M arrest whereas cancers HPV16 DNA immortalized cervical epithelial cells G1 block. Acta Acad Med Sinica 2000; 22 (2): 124–129.Google Scholar
- 15.Liu L, Qin S, Chen H, et al. An Experimental study on arsenic trioxide-selectively induced human hepatocarcinoma cell lines apoptosis and its related genes. Chin J Hepatopathy 2000;8(6): 267–369.Google Scholar
- 16.Gu QL, Li NL, Lin YZ, et al. An experiment on arsenic trioxide inducing differentiation of gastric cancer cell lines. Tumor 2000;20(6): 410–412.Google Scholar