Effect of Yufeining on induced sputum interleukin-8 in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease at the stable phase
- 38 Downloads
Objective: To evaluate the effect of Yufeining, a traditional Chinese medicine, on induced sputum interleukin-8 (IL-8) in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) at the stable phase.Methods: Thirty-six patients with COPD were divided into trial group (18 cases) and control group (18 cases) randomly. The trial group was treated with Yufeining pills taken orally for half a year; the control group was not given any medicine. Routine lung function was recorded before and after treatment. Total cell count (TCC), differential cell counts (DCCs) and IL-8 in induced sputum were determined at the baseline and 6 months later.Results: The indices of lung function improved significantly after 6 months’ treatment in trial group (P<0.05); TCC and absolute neutrophil count decreased significantly compared with baseline in the trial group (P<0.05); Sputum IL-8 concentration dropped significantly after 6 months’ treatment, from a mean of 5.216 ± 2. 914 μg/L to 4.222 ± 2.140 μg/L (P<0.05). There were insignificant changes in the parameters in the control group between baseline and 6 months later.Conclusion: Yufeining could improve lung function, decrease sputum TCC, absolute neutrophil count and IL-8 concentration, and relieve airway inflammation in patients with COPD in the stable phase.
Key Wordschronic obstructive pulmonary disease airway inflammation interleukin-8 Yufeining
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Respiratory Medicine Branch of Chinese Medical Association. The guideline of diagnosis and management for COPD (draft). Chin J Tuberc Respir Dis (Chin) 1997;20(4): 199–203.Google Scholar
- 4.Zheng XY. The clinical research guideline of traditional Chinese medicine and new drugs (draft). 1st ed. Beijing: Scientific and Technological Press of Traditional Chinese Medicine and Pharmacy, 2002: 390–392.Google Scholar
- 7.Hong ML, Chen WX, Cai SH, et al. The interventional effects of Yufeining on lung function in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Chin J Tradit Chin Med Pharmacy 2005;20(2): 92–95.Google Scholar
- 8.State Administration of Traditional Chinese Medicine. Advanced textbook on traditional Chinese medicine and pharmacology. 1st ed. Beijing: New World Press, 1995: 300–302, 467–472.Google Scholar
- 9.Pauwels RA, Buist AS, Calverley PM, et al. Global strategy for the diagnosis, management, and prevention of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. NHLBI/WHO Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease (COLD) Workshop summary. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2001;163: 1256–1276.PubMedGoogle Scholar