General Markov-Bernstein and Nikolskii type inequalities
In this paper, we demonstrate how the continuity properties of the logarithmic potential of certain equilibrium measure leads to very general polynomial inequalities. Typical inequalities considered are those which estimate the norm of the derivative of a polynomial in terms of the norm of the polynomial itself and those which compare different norms of the same polynomial.
KeywordsDirichlet Problem Orthogonal Polynomial Equilibrium Measure Algebraic Polynomial Good Constant
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Lubinsky, D.S. and Saff, E.B., Strong Asymptotics for Extremal Polynomials Associated with Weights on R, Lecture Notes in Math., Vol. 1305, Springer Verlag, Berlin, 1988.Google Scholar
- Mhaskar, H.N., Weighted Analogues of Nikolskii Type Inequalities and their Applications, Conf. Harmonic Anal. In Honor of A. Zygmund (edited by Beckner, Calderon, Fefferman and Jones), Vol. II, Wadsworth International, Belmont, California, 1983, 783–801.Google Scholar
- Mhaskar, H.N. and Saff, E.B., The Distribution of Zeros of Asymptotically Extremal Polynomials, to appear in J. Approx. Theo.Google Scholar
- Nevai, P. Orthogonal Polynomials, Mem. Amer. Math. Soc., No. 213, 1979.Google Scholar
- Saff, E.B., Totik, V. and Mhaskar, H.N., Weighted Polynomials and Potentials in the Complex Plane, Manuscript.Google Scholar
- Tsuji, M., Potential Theory in Modern Function Theory, 2nd ed., Chelsea, New York, 1958.Google Scholar